• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can I have help giving Alice and Bear their medicine?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
They both have spurs that are growing into their gums rather than their tongues which are causing gingivitis :(
The vet has told me to apply hexarinse to their gums with a cotton bud to bring down the swelling.
Their not happy and it's not getting as far as their gums :(
Any ideas?!

How about wrapping them in a towel? Like a burreto enclosing all their legs and just having their head & ears poking out. Once they are in the towel & have firm grip they shouldn't wriggle as much... Have you got someone to help you? Xx

If you haven't got anyone to help, the best idea is to, as above, wrap them in a towel so only their head is poking out.
Then if you kneel down, and one sat between your legs, head facing away from you. You can do it on the table too, but just have them in between your arms (though be careful they don't try and jump off!) I work at a vets and that's the way we usually do it for patients :)

Thanks for the replies, I should have specified what the problem was!
I can hold them both still but Alice wriggles her head too much and Bear is fine but then he eats the end of the cotton bud :shock:
I've managed to get it in their mouths, but no idea weather it's even touched their gums I have no idea how you would know it's getting to the part needed!!

My vet showed me how to squeeze (gently but firmly) the sides of their cheeks, to open their mouths. Perhaps you could do that and get someone else to do the cotton bud bit?

If it were me, I'd go back to the vet and ask them to show me on each bun. I am terrified of hurting them though, so I'd need that live demo to feel more confident :oops:

HoneyBear, are there any fellow RU members near you who could help at all? If I lived closer I would be more than happy to help.

They both have spurs that are growing into their gums rather than their tongues which are causing gingivitis :(
The vet has told me to apply hexarinse to their gums with a cotton bud to bring down the swelling.
Their not happy and it's not getting as far as their gums :(
Any ideas?!

Is there nothing in the way of a dental operation that can help them? Maybe they have had a procedure already - but shame for you that both of them suffer the same problem ...

How long have you been told you have to apply the Hexarinse for?

Back