• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my doe about to give birth ?

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice..my doe is pregnant and on her 31st day, I've been checking on her first thing everyday and this morning I have noticed she's made herself a nest out of hay and lined it with her fur. This was at about 8am I found her nest. I've been peeping through my window every five minutes today to see if she's had her babies which she hasn't, The only thing that makes me think her delivery won't be today is the fact that's she's eating and drinking normally, maybe even a touch more than usual and to the be honest she seems her normal self. I put more hay in with her and she's munched it all, I just want to know if does eat abit more than usual a couple of days before the give birth?

Does usually eat less in the 12 hours prior to kindling. It sounds as though she may deliver her litter very soon though. Have you removed the Buck ? If not he is likely to impregnate her as soon as she has given birth which would not be fair on her or her litter.

Yes they are separated now, we were told he was neutered but obviously he's not, this is the first time I've ever had a pregnant rabbit so it's all new to me. But when I caught them mating I started researching into it just Incase my doe did get pregnant. I did read on a few website that they eat less than usual 12 hours before birth so it's just confused me how today is her 31st day and she's started her nesting yet shes eating double the amount she usually does. Thanks for the reply by the way :)

Yes they are separated now, we were told he was neutered but obviously he's not, this is the first time I've ever had a pregnant rabbit so it's all new to me. But when I caught them mating I started researching into it just Incase my doe did get pregnant. I did read on a few website that they eat less than usual 12 hours before birth so it's just confused me how today is her 31st day and she's started her nesting yet shes eating double the amount she usually does. Thanks for the reply by the way :)

This thread may be worth taking a look at

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Jane has given fab advice so just wanted to wish you best of luck with the kits and hope mum is ok.

Once your babies are grown up (8 weeks is the earlier they can leave mum and 10 weeks-ish I think it is that they really need to be separated from mum as young males at 12 weeks have been known to impregnate their mums!) if you get your female spayed once this is all over she will be a lot happier and healthier :thumb: If your boy gets neutered too they can live together in happiness for the rest of their lives. I'm sure they would love that. x

If you did see him mounting her she may not be pregnant. Even neutered rabbits 'hump' each other to establish dominance within a bonded pair. Is he definitely not neutered? Ie: Does he have testicles still? Has a vet confirmed she is pregnant?

If you did see him mounting her she may not be pregnant. Even neutered rabbits 'hump' each other to establish dominance within a bonded pair. Is he definitely not neutered? Ie: Does he have testicles still? Has a vet confirmed she is pregnant?

Thanks for all the replies, I knew she was pregnant shortly after as I could feel them and also just before she started nesting I could actually feel them kicking as well so I didn't need to take her to a vet to confirm it. She's now given birth to 6 lovely little babies and she's feeding them and keeping them warm so I have no more worries now. :)

Thanks for all the replies, I knew she was pregnant shortly after as I could feel them and also just before she started nesting I could actually feel them kicking as well so I didn't need to take her to a vet to confirm it. She's now given birth to 6 lovely little babies and she's feeding them and keeping them warm so I have no more worries now. :)

I was just about to offer a reply when I saw your lovely update here.

Best of luck with Mom and babies :thumb:

Awww, sounds like she's going to be a good mummy! How stressful for you though! Make sure she has limitless hay available.

Is your boy neutered yet? It'll take around 6 weeks after his op (and you'll need to wait 6 weeks after your doe has been spayed too) for their hormones to die down enough for a safe reintroduction. Rebonding can be tricky so research well before you attempt it!

Back