• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mal's neuter and teeth

Rushrabbit

Young Bun
So little Mal is going in for his special boy rabbit operation on Friday :( I know the vets will look after him but I can't help worrying about it too.

The thing I was wondering is that when he had his jabs the vet checked his teeth and said that in future he might need them rasped at the back to prevent problems.

Should I ask them to take a better look at those teeth while he's out for his op? Would it help and give them a better idea of what they might have to do in future?

So little Mal is going in for his special boy rabbit operation on Friday :( I know the vets will look after him but I can't help worrying about it too.

The thing I was wondering is that when he had his jabs the vet checked his teeth and said that in future he might need them rasped at the back to prevent problems.

Should I ask them to take a better look at those teeth while he's out for his op? Would it help and give them a better idea of what they might have to do in future?

Yes, I'd definitely ask them to have a good look at his teeth. It would be an ideal opportunity. Although I suspect Mal may disagree with me on that one !!

Hope all goes well for him xx

I absolutely would ask the vet to look at his teeth! Golden opportunity xx

Good luck for Friday :thumb:

Thanks so much Jacks Jane and Mighty Max for replying and also for your best wishes for little Mal. :) it's his first operation and I'm going to be a very nervous bunny mummy on Friday.

Thanks so much Jacks Jane and Mighty Max for replying and also for your best wishes for little Mal. :) it's his first operation and I'm going to be a very nervous bunny mummy on Friday.

We are all here to support you :thumb:

Some of us have been through this many times. You love little Mal and you care enormously. That's why you worry :love:

Well, he's checked in at the vet now. With his little parcel of food for when he wakes up. The vet said they will definitely check his teeth too.

So nervous for him.

Wow, excellent news :D

I've got him home now. It was a lot more involved at the vets than I thought unfortunately :( They DID have to rasp his teeth as well while he was out. Wish they'd told me that when they called. He's got pain relief and a followup appointment on Monday morning. Poor lil guy looks a bit shellshocked.

But on the plus side he's had a good drink of water and a few bites of hay now he's back in his house. Oh, and he's done some poos.

I'm going to pop out to pick up some parsley to tempt him with. Is there anything else I need to do or can do to help him?

I've got him home now. It was a lot more involved at the vets than I thought unfortunately :( They DID have to rasp his teeth as well while he was out. Wish they'd told me that when they called. He's got pain relief and a followup appointment on Monday morning. Poor lil guy looks a bit shellshocked.

But on the plus side he's had a good drink of water and a few bites of hay now he's back in his house. Oh, and he's done some poos.

I'm going to pop out to pick up some parsley to tempt him with. Is there anything else I need to do or can do to help him?

Seems like he's done well, and good on your vets for attending to what they saw when they put him out!

Fresh herbs are always good :thumb: Coriander, Methi, Parsley. Dill ... If he doesn't eat his pellets you could soak them in a bit of water. I have never found my buns eat them wet, but you may need the tip ..

Good news he's eaten a bit of hay. Readigrass could also tempt him to eat a bit more teeth trimming fibre :D

Back