• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - confusing behaviour

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help .....I'm currently in the middle of bonding Hollie and Rascal. They've been together in a pen for just over a week now.

At first they couldn't stand the sight of each other and I was having to separate them from fisticuffs quite often (chasing / fur pulling).

Then there was indifference.

However, it's obvious that Rascal wants to be bossman (he was boss when Dizzi was with us) so he's been the one chasing and nipping Hollie (who can give as good as she gets when she wants to).

So, the fur pulling seems to have stopped and Rascal keeps approaching Hollie for grooms ..... when she doesn't groom him, he nips her and a quick chase starts (neither bunny have their tails up whilst chasing/being chased) and it's all over with in a few seconds.

However, last night after several nips and chases Hollie DID groom Rascal ...... but then he still nipped her! He's been pestering her for days to groom him and when she does, he's still not happy.

I'm confused ...... can anyone shed any light on this behaviour?

Many thanks

Jo x

Not really. As long as they aren't fighting I would keep going. We don't understand why rabbits do everything they do, maybe he knoows she needs a little nip just to remind her who is the boss. When she starts to accept his as boss he will stop nipping her :)

Thanks Tonibun ..... they seem quite comfortable with each other .... they sit close to each other whilst grooming themselves, eating, drinking and sleeping.

I just want them to be friends so they can have more space, hate them being couped up in a pen. But patience is a virtue and them getting closer is the main thing.

And now Rascal has decided to groom Hollie ....... I'm not even going to try and work out what that means!! LOL x

Back