• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An update on Elsies hopeful husbun!

magically

Warren Scout
With regards to my previous post which I accidentally posted about a week ago in the General Chat section and didn't get any replies as a result;

"We were asked to take in a rabbit from my mums bosses niece who had gotten bored of her rabbit. We took him in on the condition that they would get him neutered for us, which they accepted. The kids dad is quite responsible, despite what I'm about to tell you, and has admitted that the rabbit has never had anywhere near enough attention or space he needs and agreed to get him neutered which I really appreciate. I just wish he'd done something sooner. He also admitted that he probably shouldn't have bought the rabbit so rashly. [Pets at home]

Last night, he arrived in a 2ft hutch. It's double tier, which actually almost makes it worse because the ramp literally takes up the whole top floor and bottom floor and I have no idea how he's meant to get off the ramp considering it hits the side? Stupid stupid design! I'd only put a hamster in it. Then I opened the hutch and saw him. He's huge, which is no issue for me but made me so much more sad when I realized how big he was for the hutch. His head almost touches the ceiling and he can't do one full hop, at all. The bed area he just about squeezes into and he fills the day area. His bedding is old jumpers, and despite all of this, he's in quite good condition. His coat is lovely.

Old owner says that he frequently comes inside which isn't ideal with it being winter, but I guess it's better than being stuck in that "hutch" all day. Very friendly considering, though doesn't like being picked up, which doesn't surprise me considering his size. I called the vets he was neutered at and asked if they had his weight on case, he's 3kg.

So now I'm a little unsure what to do. The plan is to bond him to Elsie, but technically he can't really be bonded to her for another couple of weeks for his neuter to completely heal. But in the meantime, he's in that awful hutch. He can come in during the day [I know not ideal] but of course that's not going to be for long enough. Unless I put his hutch in the new run, but I was hoping to keep that neutral for when they're together.

Photos to come later on! He's a beautiful big lop who has biscuit and black harlequin markings which are quite minimal, along with white/grey/cream along his underside and around his eyes. Really incredibly beautiful!
For now I must sleep."

So we're now a week on, and he's settling in wonderfully. I'm having to bring him indoors every day to stretch his legs, and he's also had a supervised run around the garden. I have another two weeks before I can introduce him and Elsie, we're two weeks from his neuter. He's definitely improving with his stiffness too. When we first got him, he used to hop so awkwardly. Today we had our first binky!! He's getting much more agile in general.

His personality has been coming out too, he's very cheeky. So far he's tried to steal a ham sandwich, a glass of orange juice, he's tried knocking over the bin and enjoys nothing more than sitting on the top of the sofa to look down on the cats and dogs. He is also crazy affectionate, he loves jumping up onto the couch next to you and lying down so that you can stroke him. It's really quite adorable.

Name wise, he came with the name Binky but I was contemplating Arthur? I prefer it. Feel free to suggest name ideas!!
Here's a picture of him;

arthur4_by_thecallybear-d8m1sve.jpg

He is gorgeous :love: so glad he has found his way to you :thumb:

Thank you! I think so too. I've never really seen a rabbit that looks like him before.
I do think he needs to lose a bit of weight though, perhaps. He legs have fat rolls. :?
He makes Elsie look tiny in comparison! The vet said hinted at him being a little overweight too.

He's probably overweight partly due to the fact that he didn't get enough exercise before :(

He's absolutely gorgeous. He's so much like Mr Higgins they could be twins. I'm liking the name Arthur, it definitely suits him.

How gorgeous is he, beautiful markings and colours :love:
He looks so sweet, so glad he is out of that teeny hutch I've no doubt he will be happier with you :)

Wow, he's beautiful! No further name suggestions. I'm sure he'll lose at least some of that weight just from bouncing about :)

I was so sad to hear how you say he was stiff. Guess this is because he had no room to move :cry:

I wondered where you were, and if someone had a spare hutch they could lend you. You don't want to be pressurised into making a bonding work ... just a thought ...

I like Arthur. Much more original than Binky. Nice though that name is, though . :D

Back