• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scooby is going to have his incisors removed

Tracy

Warren Veteran
My new lad Scooby had a full health check last night. He looks to be fit and healthy, apart from his incisors which are terrible. :( My vet had a good look at them and we have decided to have them removed. He is booked in to have the procedure next Tuesday.

He had them burred last night, just to tidy them up and keep him going until he has them taken out. It wasn’t a nice experience for the poor lad, which makes me even more certain that putting him through the procedure to remove them is the right decision. I don’t want him going through the stress of having them burred every few weeks.

His molars looked fine, but my vet will check them properly and do any work necessary while he is under GA.

I’ll be glad when we are over this hurdle and I can get started on bonding him and Minnie.

Oh bless him, hopefully he will already be feeling a lot better already. Sending vibes for his op on Tuesday :thumb:

Best of luck! Will the rescue you adopted him from be paying for this? I just wondered because I imagine it'll be quite a cost to foot.

I hope his op will go well. It will be lovely to be able to introduce him to Minnie. How is she doing at the moment ?

Best of luck! Will the rescue you adopted him from be paying for this? I just wondered because I imagine it'll be quite a cost to foot.

I will pay for the procedure. I took him on in full knowledge that he had dreadful front teeth, it was the reason I chose him. The rescue he came from is one that I help out at, so I've known Scooby quite a while and I knew he was one of those rabbits that would struggle to find a home.

I hope his op will go well. It will be lovely to be able to introduce him to Minnie. How is she doing at the moment ?

Minnie is doing much better these last few days. She is eating normally now and coming forward for her food again. She still looks a little lost on her own, but she is coping and looking more settled.

I did think about doing the bonding first and then get Scooby's teeth removed later, but as Minnie is coping better and because he looked so upset after the burring, I have decided it's probably best to get him sorted first.

Minnie is doing much better these last few days. She is eating normally now and coming forward for her food again. She still looks a little lost on her own, but she is coping and looking more settled.

I did think about doing the bonding first and then get Scooby's teeth removed later, but as Minnie is coping better and because he looked so upset after the burring, I have decided it's probably best to get him sorted first.

I think you are very wise to be getting his medical concerns out of the way first! Then the path is clear for the bonding to commence.

He will be delighted to be relieved of useless incisors. I remember the first rabbit I ever took to have his incisors removed. Must have been about 20 years ago now. I wondered what on earth I had done to him, even though his teeth were very bad. It didn't take long before I realised I had done the best thing ever :thumb:

Good luck for Tuesday xxx

It wasn’t a nice experience for the poor lad, which makes me even more certain that putting him through the procedure to remove them is the right decision. I don’t want him going through the stress of having them burred every few weeks.

Hey Tracy,

Just wanted to point out some of the good sides of the procedure..

Less destruction in the house and the garden!
No biting ;)
No needing to go through the horrible procedure so often
The risk of him getting a root abcess is much smaller

It is quite unpleasant, and some bunnies take longer to recover. My vet removed first the upper and then the lower incisors to make the procedure less stressful. Not so sure if this was the best choice but it might be good considering.

Really hope the op' goes well for him - sounds like he deserves a fresh start, bless him. :love: xx

Am glad Minnie's doing better too.

Hey Tracy,

Just wanted to point out some of the good sides of the procedure..

Less destruction in the house and the garden!
No biting ;)
No needing to go through the horrible procedure so often
The risk of him getting a root abcess is much smaller

It is quite unpleasant, and some bunnies take longer to recover. My vet removed first the upper and then the lower incisors to make the procedure less stressful. Not so sure if this was the best choice but it might be good considering.

Yes, he will definitely be better off without them, I am sure. They are a hindrance to him and he really struggles to pick his food up once they start getting long again. I'll be glad when next Tuesday is over and his tusks are history!

Yes, he will definitely be better off without them, I am sure. They are a hindrance to him and he really struggles to pick his food up once they start getting long again. I'll be glad when next Tuesday is over and his tusks are history!

You made me laugh! What I had my very first bunny's teeth out, I read an article called 'When teeth turn to tusks' - I never forgot it!

Back