• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ecuniculi advice/help

Rdgib85

Young Bun
It's been 4 weeks since I had my rabbit pts because of suspected ecuniculi (head tilt).

Does anyone know if this statement is true as my other rabbit is completely fine but I'm struggling to get panacur down her as i live on my own so no help and she's such a wriggler. I have been bleaching her hutch and keeping it very clean.

'If you have an infected rabbit who lives with other rabbits, is that most certainly by the time you see the outward signs of clinical disease, it is well past any contagious stage. The parasites are no longer in the kidneys. However, the spores that have been shed in the urine can remain in the environment for another month. Other rabbits can pick up spores from the environment for several weeks after the infected rabbit has stopped shedding. And since many other animal species can carry and shed these parasites, a rabbit who runs on the ground outdoors is more likely to pick them up.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi Facts Review

E. cuniculi are shed only in the urine.Infectious period lasts only a few days to a few weeks.The infected animal is not contagious after the E. cuniculi leave the kidneys.'

I ask because I intend to get another rabbit to bond with my female since she lost her hutch mate and never lived alone but want to make sure I have eliminated all possibility of this terrible thing affecting my buns.

I am sorry for your recent loss :cry:

I am not sure what your question is ?

The statement is true, are you asking if you really need to treat your remaining Rabbit with Panacur ? Or are you asking if the bleach cleaning will suffice ?

Personally I would want to treat the remaining Rabbit with a 28 day course of Panacur and insure the environment was bleach cleaned on days 21 and 28 of treatment BEFORE introducing a new Rabbit.

It's been 4 weeks since I had my rabbit pts because of suspected ecuniculi (head tilt).

Does anyone know if this statement is true as my other rabbit is completely fine but I'm struggling to get panacur down her as i live on my own so no help and she's such a wriggler. I have been bleaching her hutch and keeping it very clean.

'If you have an infected rabbit who lives with other rabbits, is that most certainly by the time you see the outward signs of clinical disease, it is well past any contagious stage. The parasites are no longer in the kidneys. However, the spores that have been shed in the urine can remain in the environment for another month. Other rabbits can pick up spores from the environment for several weeks after the infected rabbit has stopped shedding. And since many other animal species can carry and shed these parasites, a rabbit who runs on the ground outdoors is more likely to pick them up.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi Facts Review

E. cuniculi are shed only in the urine.Infectious period lasts only a few days to a few weeks.The infected animal is not contagious after the E. cuniculi leave the kidneys.'

I ask because I intend to get another rabbit to bond with my female since she lost her hutch mate and never lived alone but want to make sure I have eliminated all possibility of this terrible thing affecting my buns.

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit.

Your statement is true. It's also very wise to treat your remaining rabbit with Panacur for at least 28 days. The way to kill off the spores of EC in the environment is to clean with a 10% solution of bleach on days 21 and 28 of treatment with Panacur.

If you get another rabbit, I would suggest quarantining him/her until you have also completed a 28 days course of Panacur. You would not want it cross transferring to the rabbit you already have.

I hope this helps x

I am sorry for your recent loss :cry:

I am not sure what your question is ?

The statement is true, are you asking if you really need to treat your remaining Rabbit with Panacur ? Or are you asking if the bleach cleaning will suffice ?

Personally I would want to treat the remaining Rabbit with a 28 day course of Panacur and insure the environment was bleach cleaned on days 21 and 28 of treatment BEFORE introducing a new Rabbit.

Sorry my question is: if my remaining rabbit has shown no signs of ecuniculi and it's now been 4 weeks, given above states the spores are no longer contagious after a month and that the rabbit only sheds them for a month can i assume this rabbit is free from ecuniculi? Im trying my best to give her panacur. My boy was ill for 2 weeks before the headtilt came on suddenly but vet wasnt worried he wasnt himself and by time he was diagnosed was only when the headtilt came on.

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit.

Your statement is true. It's also very wise to treat your remaining rabbit with Panacur for at least 28 days. The way to kill off the spores of EC in the environment is to clean with a 10% solution of bleach on days 21 and 28 of treatment with Panacur.

If you get another rabbit, I would suggest quarantining him/her until you have also completed a 28 days course of Panacur. You would not want it cross transferring to the rabbit you already have.

I hope this helps x

No not got another rabbit yet as I want to be sure everything is as safe as it can be. My bleaching will go beyond the 21 and 28 days as it's been 4 weeks and i will continue it weekly for at least another month.

No not got another rabbit yet as I want to be sure everything is as safe as it can be. My bleaching will go beyond the 21 and 28 days as it's been 4 weeks and i will continue it weekly for at least another month.

It sounds like you will have everything covered for your existing rabbit and for any new one. :thumb:

If you want to minimise the amount of chemicals you are using in your Rabbit's environment then you could invest in a steam cleaner. This would be effective in killing residual EC spores. Steam cleaners are a worthwhile investment IMO :)

Back