• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hip dislocation

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here has had experience of a rabbit with a hip dislocation. Was there an operation involved or did it heal itself with time and restricted space for movement?

Thankfully non of my Rabbits have had a hip dislocation. What treatment would be required would depend on the specifics of the individual case and the exact cause of the problem.

One of our rabbits dislocated his hip. His treatment was 6 weeks in a small space and pain relief. He made a good recovery with no further problems.

But as Jane said it all depends on the exact nature of the injury.

I hope your bunny is easily fixed.

The vet tried to put the hip back in under anaesthesia but it just popped back out. George is home in a reduced space and is doing ok. He's eating, drinking and pooping as normal. He's taking pain relief and has a vet appointment in 3 weeks to see what's happening and to also get more pain relief. If it was going to happen to one of my bunnies, it would be George. He's like a toddler and full of beans and into everything. A right cheeky chappie. It's really hard seeing him like this and I'm really hoping that restricting his space and resting will work.

Mini dislocated her hip and it wouldn't go back in so the vets cut part of the hip joint which then regrew. Sorry I don't remember the specifics, I'm afraid things to do with joints make me queasy (I nearly keeled over in the consult room :oops:) so not much info went in. I know though it's the same op as they do with cats. She's absoutely fine now, ifn fact I often joke that they must've put in a bionic hip ;)

Last edited:
The vet tried to put the hip back in under anaesthesia but it just popped back out. George is home in a reduced space and is doing ok. He's eating, drinking and pooping as normal. He's taking pain relief and has a vet appointment in 3 weeks to see what's happening and to also get more pain relief. If it was going to happen to one of my bunnies, it would be George. He's like a toddler and full of beans and into everything. A right cheeky chappie. It's really hard seeing him like this and I'm really hoping that restricting his space and resting will work.

An Op sounds like serious stuff, so I really hope rest can help. At least on the pain relief, it's an anti-inflammatory, so that should help with any swelling in the area.

Parsnipbun has had a lot of experience with bunnies. It might be worth dropping her a PM in case she hasn't seen this?

Poor George, maybe you could provide him with some interesting new toys to try to keep him mentally occupied whilst he is on cage rest. Things like apple twigs, willow balls to chew on. I would keep an eye on the hock of the uninjured leg as he will be taking a lot of weight on it and this can cause the fur to thin out and the underlying skin to become sore. I'd also check that his ear on the side of his injured leg remains nice and clean. Rabbits with any restricted mobility of a hind leg can develop a gunky ear on the corresponding side due to inefficient self grooming as a result of their incapacity.

Whilst it would be ideal if he did not need surgery, even if he does as Elena has said it can be very successful. So try not to get to stressed about it all. Easier said than done I know xx

Aww your poor bunny!! :( wishing him lots & lots of vibes!

I've got a little bunny who has previously broke both his back legs which we're pinned but my point is cage rest does work. Harvey has been on cage rest for 5 weeks, I'm not going lie, it is hard.. To try & keep them up beat, and moving around slightly to keep his muscles moving. But I had the natural balls, a cuddly toy in there as he did groom this from time to time & his cardboard tube with different hays. He was on metacam thought which was brilliant and helped Harvey loads.

But I'm glad to say after almost 5 weeks, both bones fused back together. It's amazing how bunnies bodies work & honestly wish George a good recovery!!

If you do want to ask anything, please feel free too! :)

Thanks guys. He is moving around as much as he can. He's extremely eager when he see's food. His wife Sadie is in with him keeping him company and they have chew toys etc. Sadie is so good to him and lets him get to the food first and she giving him lots of cuddles. This will be so frustrating for him as he is the liveliest of all my bunnies hence him getting the injury!! I'm just crossing my fingers that its good news at the vets.

Back