• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Making a funny noise

steph1705

Warren Scout
My rabbit has been making a funny noise when he breaths for some time. He has has baytril and septrin. He is now one another month of septrin. He has had a xray to rule out tumours. The vet is unsure as to what exactly is the issue. We decided to do a month of septrin and possibly if that doesn't help maybe a swop or put some fluid down his lung to see what comes out. I was just wondering if anyone has had a simlier issue. He is eating and drinking he seems his normal self and is a good weight. does anyone know if the vet will email me the films? So I can show another vet.

With regards to the Xray, the Vet would not email the films to you for you to then take them to another Vet. If you opt for a second opinion your original Vet could refer you and he/she may then forward the films and clinical records to the Referral Vet.

If you decide to take yourself off elsewhere without a referral from your original Vet the new Vet would need to do his/her own Xrays

Was it just a chest Xray that was taken or was the skull xrayed too ?

Hiya it was just a chest from side and top. The second vet I was going to ask is in the same store I work in I was just going to pick her brain. She treats my dog but the rabbit is at a different vet (closer to home) I don't doubt my rabbits vet at all.

My rabbit has been making a funny noise when he breaths for some time. He has has baytril and septrin. He is now one another month of septrin. He has had a xray to rule out tumours. The vet is unsure as to what exactly is the issue. We decided to do a month of septrin and possibly if that doesn't help maybe a swop or put some fluid down his lung to see what comes out. I was just wondering if anyone has had a simlier issue. He is eating and drinking he seems his normal self and is a good weight. does anyone know if the vet will email me the films? So I can show another vet.

To get a second opinion from another vet, you can go to your 'newly chosen' vet and ask that they request the X-ray films that you have already had taken, from the first vet you saw.

Last edited:
Hiya it was just a chest from side and top. The second vet I was going to ask is in the same store I work in I was just going to pick her brain. She treats my dog but the rabbit is at a different vet (closer to home) I don't doubt my rabbits vet at all.

Is the Rabbit in you Signature the one we are talking about ? Does he have a slight head tilt ?

I would suggest that skull radiographs might provide some more information.

I'm not sure who is in my sig as I'm using taprtalk app. It's not the one in my profile pic. He is a Rew. No he has no head tilt.
Why would skull graphs help? What would you imagine they would show?

I'm not sure who is in my sig as I'm using taprtalk app. It's not the one in my profile pic. He is a Rew. No he has no head tilt.
Why would skull graphs help? What would you imagine they would show?

Did the Vet comment on the findings of the chest Xray ? If the 'noisy breathing' is coming from his upper airway as opposed to his lungs then this can be the result of tooth root elongation. The tooth roots can grow into the nasal passages.

Endoscopic examination of his nose and throat would be another possible diagnostic tool. Maybe your Vet would do this at the same time as the proposed bronchoscopy/lung lavage ?

Did the Vet make any mention of the size of your Rabbit's heart when the chest Xray was taken ? Does your Rabbit have increased respiratory rate/effort and/or poor exercise tolerance ?

Have any blood tests been run ?

Sorry for all the questions !

He has never had any issues with his teeth. Vet said they are fine but I will ask bout the head xray. His heart is ok it's not enlarged. The vet basically said the xray showed his air pipes in his lungs up as white which you wouldn't normally be able to see. No blood tests done. If frosty gets stressed out like when we go to the vets, the noise gets louder and can become more wheezy but I don't know if he is then have trouble getting air. He doesn't become slower. His breathing motion doesn't seem to get much fast than that of his wife in a similar situation. He is not a very run around rabbit tbh he's very quiet but he's always been that way.
Don't worry about all the questions I've never experienced this before I want to learn and if I can go to the vets loaded with options and questions that's great. Thanks

He has never had any issues with his teeth. Vet said they are fine but I will ask bout the head xray. His heart is ok it's not enlarged. The vet basically said the xray showed his air pipes in his lungs up as white which you wouldn't normally be able to see. No blood tests done. If frosty gets stressed out like when we go to the vets, the noise gets louder and can become more wheezy but I don't know if he is then have trouble getting air. He doesn't become slower. His breathing motion doesn't seem to get much fast than that of his wife in a similar situation. He is not a very run around rabbit tbh he's very quiet but he's always been that way.
Don't worry about all the questions I've never experienced this before I want to learn and if I can go to the vets loaded with options and questions that's great. Thanks

It sounds as though he may have a chronic infection/inflammation in his lungs. Sometimes this can take the form of multiple tiny abscesses which can be a big challenge to treat. The lung lavage might give some information as to the exact bacteria involved and thus a more effective antibiotic for the Vet to prescribe. A medication to help open up his airways and/or antibiotics given via a nebuliser may be another option. It does appear that the problem is in his lungs and in that case a skull Xray may not be helpful in providing any more clues.

Hope the Vet can come up with some treatment options for him xx

Thanks for your help the vet seemed to think a lung lavage was risky. He has a few more weeks of septrin then he will be back to see the vet for the next step.

Thanks for your help the vet seemed to think a lung lavage was risky. He has a few more weeks of septrin then he will be back to see the vet for the next step.

A lung lavage is certainly not without risk. It also requires anaesthetic of course. I think you are wise to keep with the Septrin to see if it has a chance of dealing with the problem before moving on ...

Lets hope that the Septrin starts to resolve things. The other possibility apart from infection is a type of Asthma and there are medications that can help manage this. They would be given via an inhaler/aerosol chamber.

What sort of risks are we talking? Thanks
And do you buy the chamber or is it a vet trip everytime it's needed?
Thanks so much for the replies. I wish I could bring him inside 😐 they are very weather proofed and have a heat pad

Thanks so much for the replies. I wish I could bring him inside �� they are very weather proofed and have a heat pad

Like any procedure involving a GA there will be some risk. With a Rabbit who already has compromised lung function the risks may be greater.

You can buy the chambers, usually a feline one. Something like this:

http://www.trudellmed.com/animal-health/aerokat

Asthma treatment would be needed daily so it would not be viable to have to take the Rabbit to the Vet every time.

Fantastic. Not sure he will like a chamber much. He's very unhappy at having meds he now hides when I come for him. He is back in 2 weeks to see vet for more drugs. I will ask him about the things you've mentioned.

Thanks so much for the replies. I wish I could bring him inside 😐 they are very weather proofed and have a heat pad

The procedure, as well as having to be carried out under General Anaesthetic, needs to be carried out by a skilled surgeon. If your vet is very confident that's fine. Some vets prefer not to tackle a lung lavage because of the risks to a rabbit with already compromised lung function.

Well if he is not confident I will find someone else. He did mention a refer to leeds (I'm sure it was Leeds) if things didn't improve.

Well if he is not confident I will find someone else. He did mention a refer to leeds (I'm sure it was Leeds) if things didn't improve.

It's far better a vet admits they don't want to do the procedure than go ahead anyway.

My vet refuses to remove rabbit's molars as she is afraid of breaking the jaw bone. I respect her for her honesty :)

Back