• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

steph1705

Warren Scout
What's the best treatment for possible mites?
I've used bob martins drops before but not sure how good they are?
Can I buy something from the vets as I have to go tomorrow anyway. Thanks

To he honest I always feel that the course from the vets (3 injections of Ivermectin) does the job more thoroughly than anything I've ever bought over the counter.

The nurse at the vets will probably be able to give you some to apply topically though .. See what they say. Of course it would be cheaper x

What's the best treatment for possible mites?
I've used bob martins drops before but not sure how good they are?
Can I buy something from the vets as I have to go tomorrow anyway. Thanks

If it were me, I would take my rabbit to the vet to be properly diagnosed and treated. In my opinion, over the counter stuff like the one you mention can be worse than useless.

If it were me, I would take my rabbit to the vet to be properly diagnosed and treated. In my opinion, over the counter stuff like the one you mention can be worse than useless.

I agree with Babsie. A course of Ivermectin injections, one dose given every 10-14 days for 3 doses usually resolves the infestation. But in some cases there can be reinfestation, especially in debilitated Rabbits and/or Rabbits in contact with asymptomatic carriers.

I wouldn't use Bob Martin, pretty sure it doesn't work! I took my rabbits to the vet when they became dandruffy (where I work so quite convenient for me!)
The vet put some Xeno450 up for me, which is a non prescription one, and it cleared it up (it was probably Cheyletiella).

I agree with Babsie. A course of Ivermectin injections, one dose given every 10-14 days for 3 doses usually resolves the infestation. But in some cases there can be reinfestation, especially in debilitated Rabbits and/or Rabbits in contact with asymptomatic carriers.
Yes the reason I discovered George had a tumor was he had mites that just wouldn't go away.. then he started losing weight cause of the tumor :( It can often be the first sign. But not always. could just be mites. Best to get a vet to check over

Yes the reason I discovered George had a tumor was he had mites that just wouldn't go away.. then he started losing weight cause of the tumor :( It can often be the first sign. But not always. could just be mites. Best to get a vet to check over

Rabbits find it impossible/difficult to get rid of mites when their immune system is compromised. It's a very interesting point Kavanne, though sad you had to find out by poor George being so unwell :cry:

c377a09cd068810860625f2ef1abe764.jpg

This is why I think there is an issue. She has a bald patch on top of her head. Wasn't there the day before yesterday but I'm not sure if her husbun has over groomed. ☺ it's not scabby it's just bald.

c377a09cd068810860625f2ef1abe764.jpg

This is why I think there is an issue. She has a bald patch on top of her head. Wasn't there the day before yesterday but I'm not sure if her husbun has over groomed. ☺ it's not scabby it's just bald.

I would get the Vet to take a look. It may not be mites at all and you dont want to be using a nasty chemical like Ivermectin unless you really have to. I'd ask the Vet to have a good look in the Rabbit's ears aswell as looking at the bald spot.

Back