• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weevils in the pine shavings!

I brought my rabbits in from outside and now I think I have a weevil problem. They are ALL over my house!!!! And the last straw was when they got into my sugar bowl... My life consists of vacuuming constantly and basically cooking my shavings in the microwave and letting them cool before putting them in the cages. This is the most frustrating thing ever! They get into the laundry and up on my bed and into open containers and nothing seems to kill them. This is the story of my life. Ugh!

Oh no :shock: to be honest wood shavings aren't recommended for bunnies as they can cause respiratory problems.

I brought my rabbits in from outside and now I think I have a weevil problem. They are ALL over my house!!!! And the last straw was when they got into my sugar bowl... My life consists of vacuuming constantly and basically cooking my shavings in the microwave and letting them cool before putting them in the cages. This is the most frustrating thing ever! They get into the laundry and up on my bed and into open containers and nothing seems to kill them. This is the story of my life. Ugh!

Welcome to RU :wave:

Sorry you are experiencing a weevil infestation, how awful!

Many of us choose not to use shavings for their rabbits' litter trays (or anywhere else).

The main concern with the use of pineshavings as litter is the documented alterations the fumes cause to a rabbit's liver enzymes. This may affect a rabbit's ability to handle standard drugs.

You can use newspaper and hay instead of shavings :thumb:

Oh blimey, a weevil infestation. I wish I could offer some advice as to how to get of them but I haven't got any advice to offer. I hope you manage to get rid of them asap.

That sounds awful. The only weevils I've ever seen were in bags of flour.

I would ditch the wood shavings, anyway, as there is strong evidence to suggest it causes respiratory problems (lots of threads on here about this) and just use newspaper and hay.

Back