• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depression in Bunnies

Our bunny Aurora seems a little down in the dumps, she spends a lot of time just sitting in her hutch with her cagemate Gaia, her owner, my son Adam is at college, and goes out a lot.....could that be the reason??

:(:(:(:(:(

How long has this been going on for ? Have you taken her to a Vet to make sure that there are no health problems causing her 'depression' ? Is she eating/drinking/pooing and weeing as normal ? Is she losing weight ?

No, she seems fine, she is still eating, drinking and going to the toilet as normal.
She was just sitting in the hall as per usual, it was my son who noticed her looking so sad today, he asked if bunnies can become depressed, apparently they can.

She seems fine now, I think she was just having a wee rest!

I was just about to reply, and good to see the problem is sorted!

Yes bunnies can and do get depressed, but it's a good idea to make sure there isn't a physical reason behind it. Rabbits (as I'm sure you know) hide their illnesses very well. A bunny that appears to be depressed could be a bunny who is giving up for some reason and perhaps needs help.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Hello and welcome:wave:Have a good look all over the forum it really is a mine of information about all things bunny.:DLots of very knowledgeable people who can provide info on all sorts.

Didn't mean to repeat myself, I was trying to delete the 1st post!!!!!!

I know .. I've been on here over 10 years and I still can't work out how to delete a post. I've a feeling the most you can do is to reduce it to a dot .. I thought it was quite appropriate though, as bunnies are so impenetrable little creatures xx

If you can rule out there being anything physically wrong with her, then sometimes new toys can create some interest for them and give them something to investigate. This was suggested to me recently as I currently have a grieving bunny and it has perked her up.

It doesn't have to be expensive, I've used things like empty cereal packets, big cardboard box stuffed with hay so she can go inside to hide and dig, cardboard toilet roll inners stuffed with hay, natural wood sticks to chew (willow, apple, hawthorn)

I hope she feels better soon xx

He is probably lonely. Rabbits are social animals and if he doesn't get a lot of attention from you and because he doesn't have a rabbit play mate he is probably really lonely which is causing him to get depressed.

Back