• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bottle advise and free ranging rabbit base advise

ImoT

Mama Doe
I have 2 separate questions but thought it might be okay to just ask them in one thread! Soon I want to take away all of Winston's run panels because he won't need them soon (i'm only keeping his run panels out in case the vet advises to keep him in a smaller area for a few days after he has been neutered) and I was wondering if anyone knows of any water bottles that you can attach to an inside wall? He currently has one which attaches to the mesh of the run panels. I've tried giving him a dish of water but he just isn't interested and it just gets full of fluff and hay and it's hard to monitor how much he's drinking, so i'd really like to carry on using a bottle.

Also, he currently has his old cage tray as a base for his litter tray and hay but the sides are a little bit high and although he has a little ladder and carpet I would really like to get something with slightly lower sides so he doesn't hurt himself jumping in and out of it (i'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to being a bunny mummy). I could just not have anything at all as he has a rectangular litter tray full of hay with a corner litter tray in it as his loo (he couldn't get the hang of weeing in something without a high side), but his hay just goes everyyyywhere so I would like to contain it somehow, especially when he has willow balls and grass mats as they would be good to contain too. So if anyone has any suggestions for tray things that are higher than a litter tray but lower than standard cage trays that would be really useful! I was thinking an under bed storage box could potentially work so if anyone has any experience with them I would appreciate your input too!

Hi, have you tried putting a bowl under his water bottle, you may find he takes to it then? You could screw a bike bottle holder to the wall, I use them in my shed, I got mine from wilkinsons for £2 http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-cycle-water-bottle-cage-black-steel/invt/0258252 or there's a silver coloured one http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-water-bottle-cage-aluminium/invt/0286542

For litter trays, I use an underbed storage box for my outdoor pair, my indoor bunny has a couple of these, but I got mine for £2 each in the sale section in b and q as they had no lids (of course I didn't need the lids :lol:)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270868152480?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I use an undershelf storage basket attached with the open end at the top to the wall over the litter tray to hold hay,(similar to this) http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/set-of-2-under-shelf-storage-baskets-211779 (or you could use a letterbox cage) and in the litter tray I use woodpellet cat litter with hay on top. I find that keeps the hay reasonably tidy :thumb:

Hi, have you tried putting a bowl under his water bottle, you may find he takes to it then? You could screw a bike bottle holder to the wall, I use them in my shed, I got mine from wilkinsons for £2 http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-cycle-water-bottle-cage-black-steel/invt/0258252 or there's a silver coloured one http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-water-bottle-cage-aluminium/invt/0286542

For litter trays, I use an underbed storage box for my outdoor pair, my indoor bunny has a couple of these, but I got mine for £2 each in the sale section in b and q as they had no lids (of course I didn't need the lids :lol:)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270868152480?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I use an undershelf storage basket attached with the open end at the top to the wall over the litter tray to hold hay,(similar to this) http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/set-of-2-under-shelf-storage-baskets-211779 (or you could use a letterbox cage) and in the litter tray I use woodpellet cat litter with hay on top. I find that keeps the hay reasonably tidy :thumb:

Hi Zoobec. I haven't tried putting a bowl under his water bottle, but to be honest with the amount of rubbish that ends up in the bowl I would rather stick to a bottle so I know the water is nice and clean and not full of fluff/hay/bits and pieces he has thrown around! I really like the look of the boxes on the ebay link you posted! I love that the edges are high but there is a dip so he can get in easily but everything will be contained, so he wouldn't need an additional tray really. Would the under shelf storage basket hook over that so he could sit in the litter tray and eat hay from the rack?

These are a cross between bottle and bowl.
https://www.deemillen.co.uk/bottle-bowl-p-961.html?osCsid=d6532be74a4380899a6d05993b133907

I love under bed storage boxes as litter trays. Perfect size for two average buns, low enough to jump over and high enough to contain litter and hay. I buy mine 3 for a tenner from pound stretcher.

I really like the look of that bottle mabels mum! Do you know if it can be free standing? On the info it says 'easily attached between two bars' but not whether it can be free standing :/

Hi Zoobec. I haven't tried putting a bowl under his water bottle, but to be honest with the amount of rubbish that ends up in the bowl I would rather stick to a bottle so I know the water is nice and clean and not full of fluff/hay/bits and pieces he has thrown around! I really like the look of the boxes on the ebay link you posted! I love that the edges are high but there is a dip so he can get in easily but everything will be contained, so he wouldn't need an additional tray really. Would the under shelf storage basket hook over that so he could sit in the litter tray and eat hay from the rack?

An undershelf basket would hook over but unfortunately it takes up too much space in the tray for them to fit comfortably in my opinion, even hooked over the short side. My small outdoor bunnies (1.5kg) did fit in it with the basket hooked over but it works better hung up above it, I have attached 2 cup hooks to the wall and slid the hook arms through them :thumb:
Boots has 2 of those green trays in his room, one as his hay base, but he prefers to do most of his wees in another tray so he has that in another corner of his room :thumb:

An undershelf basket would hook over but unfortunately it takes up too much space in the tray for them to fit comfortably in my opinion, even hooked over the short side. My small outdoor bunnies (1.5kg) did fit in it with the basket hooked over but it works better hung up above it, I have attached 2 cup hooks to the wall and slid the hook arms through them :thumb:
Boots has 2 of those green trays in his room, one as his hay base, but he prefers to do most of his wees in another tray so he has that in another corner of his room :thumb:

Okay the cup hook idea sounds good! I will probably buy one for the kitchen where Winston lives and one for the living room where he will be allowed once he's been neutered and hopefully stopped marking his territory! :)

Okay the cup hook idea sounds good! I will probably buy one for the kitchen where Winston lives and one for the living room where he will be allowed once he's been neutered and hopefully stopped marking his territory! :)

:thumb: When we first got Boots, he covered the living room floor with poops every time he came in, but I kept sweeping them up and put them in his tray in the corner, and quite quickly they receded back towards the vicinity of the tray until eventually there are hardly ever any stray ones now :thumb: he is neutered and had been for several months at that point. I am sure Winston's litter training will improve once he is neutered :thumb:

I use a large cat litter tray and I am lucky to have a clever brother who made me a couple of wall bottle holders...
e802532b98f85788c0574d802d4fbc45_zps4aa078a8.jpg

:thumb: When we first got Boots, he covered the living room floor with poops every time he came in, but I kept sweeping them up and put them in his tray in the corner, and quite quickly they receded back towards the vicinity of the tray until eventually there are hardly ever any stray ones now :thumb: he is neutered and had been for several months at that point. I am sure Winston's litter training will improve once he is neutered :thumb:

When Winston first arrived he did the same thing in the kitchen and kept weeing in random places but I put his poos and wiped up wees in the litter tray and he is really good now apart from he wees on anything soft. I try to put nice comfy blankets and towels on his bed but he just wees on them! He hasn't weed on the carpet tiles on his bed and in his run though so I am hoping he won't wee on the carpet in the living room, but because he is still a little unreliable we don't want to risk it just yet! He has supervised adventures in the hall way though which is really long and fully carpeted and he loves that, he binkies so much!

I can't wait until we can move him into the living room :)

I use a large cat litter tray and I am lucky to have a clever brother who made me a couple of wall bottle holders...
e802532b98f85788c0574d802d4fbc45_zps4aa078a8.jpg

Vicky your bunny room is so clean and tidy! The hay is so contained in the trays! Also I have the same bed as you (from ikea right?!) but I can't put any comfy blankets or pillows on it because Winston just wees on them :( Winston just has to deal with a carpet tile in there which certainly doesn't look as comfy as yours!

Ha ha - it's only so clean and tidy as I'd literally just tidied up! Within minutes there's hay and strap poops all over the place.... Hugo and Parker haven't quite got to grips with keeping their room tidy!

Ha ha - it's only so clean and tidy as I'd literally just tidied up! Within minutes there's hay and strap poops all over the place.... Hugo and Parker haven't quite got to grips with keeping their room tidy!

:lol::lol:

I'm glad it's not just Winston who hasn't quite learned to be tidy :p

Back