• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please stop peeing on my bed :(

hng187

Young Bun
4b25e3bc731d816af6fe0d9c434b202e.jpg
You see this cutie right here? Well don't let his looks deceive you, he's up to no good. He is potty trained in the sense that he KNOWS where he's supposed to pee and poo at, he just decides that my bed is a better place. Yes, he uses the potty box and will not pee or poo on the floor with the exception of a few pellets here or there but if I don't get him off my bed the second he comes up, he instantly pees. The problem is that I would really like to have him on my bed because he does like to cuddle, but I already have to get a new mattress because of his peeing. My bun is a male. Advice?

Yup. Hershel does that as well.

I got a waterproof mattress protector to go over my bed when I was out. It works to a point but I need a kingsize for my double bed, as I found they will pee down the sides of it as well.

Also if I am in I can't really leave it on the bed as he will pee on it even if I have been sat on it.

So frustrating [emoji53] but a waterproof cover is a good idea for protecting the new mattress so I don't have to buy yet another one

I disagree. It is most definitely my bed. And it's not nice for him to pee on it

ok, but you're fighting a losing battle. he doesn't possess the capacity to see things your way. if you won't see things from his point of view, how will you ever reach a compromise?

The purpose of this post was to gain advice on how to get him to stop. I'm sure there is some tip or trick that could help and I thought that maybe someone on this forum would have it.

Have to go with Happybun. .in my experience once a bun starts peeing somewhere, it's incredibly difficult to stop. They don't see it as 'not nice'... It's just a very natural thing ..and as buns don't respond to punishment/discipline you will find it more or less impossible to stop him.
You have 2 choices. ..don't have him on the bed or get a waterproof mattress protecter.
And he is gorgeous by the way 😊

I agree with Fellie it's almost impossible to stop them,unless they decide to stop themselves,I had to get duvet pillow and matress protectors with my hazel but after a few months the bed smelt of her and she stopped doing it maybe i was lucky,her being spayed helped tho,good-luck

Is he neutered? It's just before I had one of my bunnies neutered he used to pee on the bed and spray about a foot up the walls, but once neutered he stopped straight away and never peed outside of his pen again.

I let my two on my bed and they have never wee-d on it. I cover my bed in at least two blankets though (mainly to stop them chewing holes in my duvet) and I try to wash the blankets as little as possible. So that the blankets smell of 'them' and they don't feel the need to mark their territory. The only time Levi had a few 'accidents' on the sofa was when he was a baby. I agree though that once they decide they want 'to go' somewhere it is hard for them to be trained to stop. My two have two litter trays in their hutch but that doesn't seem to stop one or both of them from insisting on going to the toilet right next to their litter tray. Bunnies!! Haha!

they love to toilet next to the tray. tabitha particularly will stand in the tray and pee over the edge, to show how clever she is. and I can't give them a water bowl because tabby always thinks its a potty for clever girls with excellent aim...

The purpose of this post was to gain advice on how to get him to stop. I'm sure there is some tip or trick that could help and I thought that maybe someone on this forum would have it.
:lol::lol::lol: ah well.

eta: actually, on reflection, I did give advice. you need to see things from his point of view. he can't help being a rabbit. a bedroom is not his natural environment, even if his kind have been domesticated for over a thousand years. he doesn't know about litter trays and bedlinen. he knows about being a rabbit.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm with everyone else. For some reason, my lovely soft pillows and, failing that, mattress, were always a favourite spot for mine to pee. It was almost as though they actually enjoyed doing it :lol:

He's not old enough to be neutered yet :( but as soon as he is I will get it done asap. Hope it helps!

It MAY help, but I wouldn't bank on it!

Male rabbits have a habit (sometimes) of making sure you know who's boss .....

Having said that I had a male rabbit who lived in my bedroom for years, slept on the bed with me and never made a mark.

Once your little one has begun to make his mark on your bed though, the prognosis is definitely guarded ...... :roll:

Back