• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Count-down to forage season

SJH

Warren Veteran
I'm actually quite excited here; there are buds on the willow and the tiniest bit of hawthorn coming through.

Someone will be very happy given this box is pretty much the last of the winter-dried stuff.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes! Exactly the same here, I've already clipped a few new shoots from the willow and there is one random patch of my hawthorn hedge which is sprouting new green bits - it must be a different variety of hawthorn planted in the middle of the hedge as it's just that one bit! Won't be long now until the rest catches up, you can almost see it emerging day by day :D

I managed to pick some cleavers and some cow parsley yesterday :D. The bunnies wolfed it down.

I was in the garden hopeful yesterday but it got so cold :shock::shock:

Roll on a bit more sunshine, and more leaves to forage :thumb:

I got cleavers last week and parsley this :D Since it's been light on OH's walk back from work he's been collecting bramble every evening. Also pruning the roses slowly and now cutting the mallow back.

Actually, that reminds me: since owning the bunbun, we've noticed just how much stuff stays 'evergreen'. Like bramble, mallow, roses... If you'd have asked me last Winter if bramble kept its leaves, I'd've probably said no! The OH brought this up last week in the garden: really interesting! Shows just how much a change of lifestyle can change your perspective :)

Yes! Brambles are available all year around (although this year, many of our local ones have gone spotty :( )

The cleavers is starting to come through here too :)

Yep... exciting times :thumb:

I've got cleavers, new young bramble leaves, dandelions and the grass in my fallow plot is divine, young and thick.

Bunnies are much happier after some time on purchased bags of dried forage.. they are handy, but no where near as good as freshly picked or freshly dried stuff.... who knows how long they have been dried in those bags.

I thought I did quite well last Autumn, collecting and drying, but 'No' , didn't last 5 minutes... I'm going to up my game this year, and start collecting a couple of months earlier.

I found some dead nettles and goose grass out walking yesterday. fiver was so excited, he wolfed them down at the speed of light!

Well, it's properly here!

It's pouring rain and muddy but I have enough for this afternoon.

Just a little taster.... Blankey and forage (hawthorn, plantain and dandelion). I'm not sure his life gets better...... : lol:

Back