• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harvey has a little cloudy spot on his eyes

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Really sorry for all the posts recently, but I've just had Harvey out giving his compete check over everything & have noticed he has a little tiny cloudy patch appear in both eyes! The actual cloudy bit is on the edge of his eye & only very small, but is similar in both eyes. Over the last couple of days, he has been digging & lieing in his hay.. So could it be he's just scratched it?

I'm really worrying, can someone please let me know if this might be the start of ec or if this is something else?

He's okay in himself, eating & moving but after everything he's been through I just wanted your advice before stressing him out again & booking a vets appointment for Monday?

I know it's really poor.. But here is a picture & it's at the bottom. The top is the glare from the light!

Hiya..

If you search the forum, there are loads of suggestions which include EC and cataracts and even dental accesses.

I am sure someone with more experience of this will be able to advise,,

If in doubt though, take little bun back to vets to double check

Good luck
Fee x

It looks as though he has conjunctivitis. The 'cloudiness' may actually be jelly like discharge, there is certainly evidence of a discharge in the second photo.

The hay dust may have irritated his eyes. Can you bathe them with cooled boiled water and see if the 'cloudiness' you think you can see moves away ? There is a chance that he has some corneal abrasion from hay, that too can present as a 'cloudiness' and it would require treatment (abx eye drops). The Vet would put a dye into the eyes which shows up any corneal ulceration which can sometimes not be obvious to the naked eye.

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much.. God my poor little man!

I'll bathe them this afternoon for him & get him an appomtment at the referral vets for early next week. In the meantime I'll keep honey away, as I don't want her catching anything if he does have some kind of infection.

He's currently still on his anti-biotics, would this be helping at all? As he's due to come off them & his metacam tomorrow?

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much.. God my poor little man!

I'll bathe them this afternoon for him & get him an appomtment at the referral vets for early next week. In the meantime I'll keep honey away, as I don't want her catching anything if he does have some kind of infection.

He's currently still on his anti-biotics, would this be helping at all? As he's due to come off them & his metacam tomorrow?

It would be better to use a topical abx eye drop prescribed by the Vet if it is conjunctivitis. Are you checking his ears too ? He may have lots of wax build up now due to him being less able to groom himself at the moment xx

Hi everyone,

Really sorry for all the posts recently, but I've just had Harvey out giving his compete check over everything & have noticed he has a little tiny cloudy patch appear in both eyes! The actual cloudy bit is on the edge of his eye & only very small, but is similar in both eyes. Over the last couple of days, he has been digging & lieing in his hay.. So could it be he's just scratched it?

I'm really worrying, can someone please let me know if this might be the start of ec or if this is something else?

He's okay in himself, eating & moving but after everything he's been through I just wanted your advice before stressing him out again & booking a vets appointment for Monday?

I know it's really poor.. But here is a picture & it's at the bottom. The top is the glare from the light!

If the cloudy patch has appeared in both eyes, a scratch is possible but not so likely. It could be dust irritation, as it's just come on ... If it hasn't disappeared by tomorrow I would get the vet to have a little look at it. If there has been a scratch, the vet can prescribe antibiotic ointment depending on what he feels is necessary.

Good luck and sorry you've got this on top of everything else! xx

It would be better to use a topical abx eye drop prescribed by the Vet if it is conjunctivitis. Are you checking his ears too ? He may have lots of wax build up now due to him being less able to groom himself at the moment xx

Okay, thanks Jane.. I'm going phone & get him an appointment tomorrow. With regards to his ears, I have been checking them & they look fine, I can't seem to see any build up? Although he has got a couple of hard lumps?!

With his discharge.. Being honest he's had this for a few weeks now. I was told by the old vets he was having an irritation to his hay.. As he loves burying his head in it, but now Im thinking could this not being dealt with caused this little cloudy spot to form, it's literally on the bottom edge of each eye, pretty much in the same bit.

Suppose all I can do is sit & wait till tomorrow.

Thanks mightymax... I know I feel so sorry for him, how much can one little bunny have thrown at him, he's not having much luck at all! :(

I just hope & pray it's nothing serious! Xx

It could be an ulcer or something. My bun has poorly eyes and she frequently gets ulcers on them and it usually shows as a tiny cloudy spot on her eye, redness and watering. Hopefully some drops should sort it. Make sure the vet pops in some dye to check for ulcers.

Sending him lots of vibes. x

Okay, thanks Jane.. I'm going phone & get him an appointment tomorrow. With regards to his ears, I have been checking them & they look fine, I can't seem to see any build up? Although he has got a couple of hard lumps?!

With his discharge.. Being honest he's had this for a few weeks now. I was told by the old vets he was having an irritation to his hay.. As he loves burying his head in it, but now Im thinking could this not being dealt with caused this little cloudy spot to form, it's literally on the bottom edge of each eye, pretty much in the same bit.

Suppose all I can do is sit & wait till tomorrow.

If the cloudiness is the start of corneal ulceration then Chloramphenicol eye drops can be very effective, more so than Fucithalmic. As can Ciprofloxacin eye drops (Ciloxan) or Ofloxacin eye drops (Exocin)

I'd ask the Vet to take a look in Harvey's ears too xx

Thanks mightymax... I know I feel so sorry for him, how much can one little bunny have thrown at him, he's not having much luck at all! :(

I just hope & pray it's nothing serious! Xx

It would be sad beyond belief for you and him if it were serious ... However, the fact that it's appeared in both eyes simultaneously makes me think it's not a serious eye condition. I hope it either goes away or your vet has seen it before and knows exactly what to do.

Good luck and many good wishes xxx

Thanks everyone,

Well I've spoken to the referral vets.. And they have suggested doing a full ophtalmoscopic examination!!! They are currently in touch with our old vets to see if they would be willing to cover this or if we have to pay ourselves?

I didn't get time to ask any other questions, but can someone please let me know what this is? Does he have to be put out for it and is it risky at all?

Thanks, worried mum at the moment xx

Thanks everyone,

Well I've spoken to the referral vets.. And they have suggested doing a full ophtalmoscopic examination!!! They are currently in touch with our old vets to see if they would be willing to cover this or if we have to pay ourselves?

I didn't get time to ask any other questions, but can someone please let me know what this is? Does he have to be put out for it and is it risky at all?

He should not need a GA, an opthalmoscope is not an invasive 'tool', it just enables the Vet to get a better look at the various parts of the eye. :)

Thanks everyone,

What it means is a good look around the eye from all angles. He does not need to be put out for this examination. I have had rabbits have this, and it's very thorough ....

I hope you don't have to pay for it though x

Hi both, thanks so much!

Well he's all booked in tomorrow afternoon. They had alot of emergencies today, so fully understand.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest, was going day if it involved another ga, I wouldn't put him through it! But as it's not, he's all booked in & yep I'm stuck paying.

£128 and that's not even including his blood test that they'll probably have to take to find out if it is ec. They have also suggested I take honey & get her checked too.. As she's suppose to be getting spayed in a few weeks!

I've come home tonight to find honey all wet underneath, which she has never been before & such a clean bun. Both get cleaned out morning & night, so I'm really starting to worry, just hoping & praying its not EC.

Once mart is home, I'm going get him to help me clean the wee off.. Or do you think try & let her do a little herself?

My poor babies.. :(

Hi both, thanks so much!

Well he's all booked in tomorrow afternoon. They had alot of emergencies today, so fully understand.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest, was going day if it involved another ga, I wouldn't put him through it! But as it's not, he's all booked in & yep I'm stuck paying.

£128 and that's not even including his blood test that they'll probably have to take to find out if it is ec. They have also suggested I take honey & get her checked too.. As she's suppose to be getting spayed in a few weeks!

I've come home tonight to find honey all wet underneath, which she has never been before & such a clean bun. Both get cleaned out morning & night, so I'm really starting to worry, just hoping & praying its not EC.

Once mart is home, I'm going get him to help me clean the wee off.. Or do you think try & let her do a little herself?

Oh blimey it seems to be one thing after another for you at the moment. I would clean her up and I would definitely get her checked out tomorrow too xx

Hi both, thanks so much!

Oh dear poor babies indeed :cry:

Sorry you are landed with the bill. My vet doesn't often choose to do a blood test for E.C. but treats with Panacur anyway. I agree with her in this respect, as the blood test only shows up exposure to the parasite - unless you do a couple of blood tests which can provide more conclusive information.

I would clean Honey up. Take one day at a time. Try not to lump all the problems/issues into one big uncopeable-with ball.
Stay strong and good luck with both of them for tomorrow afternoon :thumb:

Poor bunnies & poor you :( Sending lots of vibes for the best possible outcomes from both their vet visits xx

Back