• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colehay - new hay supplier!!

Just seen Vegan Bunny's post about H4P putting up prices on their hay, which £18 for the 9kg is starting to get dearer at £2 per kilo.

So I've been searching for local hay suppliers, but have come across a hay supplier down in Devon called Colehay.

They are selling individual hay bags of Meadow Hay and Rye Hay for £20 for 14kgs, so £1.43 per kilo. And they have Timothy Hay for £25 for 14kgs, so £1.79 per kilo.

Has anyone used them before?

Edit: Delivery is down as 5-10 working days which isn't great though.

Last edited:
Looks good. Can't work out how delivery works though!!

Yeah. It did confuse myself as well as the website talks about cost off delivery per pallet. Although on the individual bales it saying "This bale is sold as a single unit" and when it is added to paypal just the individual cost comes up. I think I will email and let everyone know the response. I might have to take the plunge and order some to see what it is like.

I am still trying to find a local hay supplier as I would like to try and really cut the cost of hay I buy.
Trying to source a local hay supplier up in the north east is really hard. Obviously I am not the only one having the problem. I have been given a name of a farmer near Heighington, Maysie Tucker has given me the name of her supplier down near York, also I am waiting to hear from the pet shop local to where I work as well.

I currently buy a meadow hay for bedding/litter trays from H4P and a timothy hay from TimothyHay, so it was costing £38 for 4 bunnies per month, but it will go to £40 and that is before pellets, vegetables, fenugreek crunchies, toys, insurance, etc. So I estimate that myself and my sister can spend around £100 per month on the 4 bunnies between us.

Last edited:
I think H4P have put prices up as their courier no longer accepts the plastic packaging for delivery and so she is having to source cardboard boxes instead (so Facebook status says) pushing up the cost, such a shame though as I think a lot of people will go elsewhere now.

i think i contacted cole hay a couple of years back, but they didn't supply small amounts if you weren't near them.

i'm a bit worried about hay for pets now aswell. obviously hay does better in cardboard but not when delivery is upto 5days. if the cardboard gets wet it'll just be ruined. if they have to stick with cardboard, they'd be better doing those overnight deliveries like other companies do.

they all seem to think couriers take care of items aswell but they don't. they put it on wet floors etc.

This is interesting, because dust free used to use boxes, but last time, the two bales were just wrapped in wrapping plastic, but they did use a different delivery company - they used to use DPD but last time was UKMail.

This is interesting, because dust free used to use boxes, but last time, the two bales were just wrapped in wrapping plastic, but they did use a different delivery company - they used to use DPD but last time was UKMail.

UK Mail - what a joke! They left a box of chilled food outside my front door without even ringing my bell (I was in). Stuck a card through the door with absolutely nothing on it: if I hadn't heard it plop through the letterbox, which made me open my front door, it could have been sitting there until the next morning.
They have ignored my complaints (despite receiving a pic of the label on the box, giving consignment number etc). I have emailed them at least 8 times.

Its a shame they deliver on a pallet as that really isn;t practical for our home otherwise I would give them a go. I will stick to timothyhay.co.uk for now.

i think i contacted cole hay a couple of years back, but they didn't supply small amounts if you weren't near them.

i'm a bit worried about hay for pets now aswell. obviously hay does better in cardboard but not when delivery is upto 5days. if the cardboard gets wet it'll just be ruined. if they have to stick with cardboard, they'd be better doing those overnight deliveries like other companies do.

they all seem to think couriers take care of items aswell but they don't. they put it on wet floors etc.

ok, well i just got a tracking for my hay4pets parcel, and it's an overnight courier.... so i can shut up! :oops::lol:

so much for overnight. it was meant to turn up yesterday and hasn't :roll:

Have you used the tracking? It is so disappointing/annoying. My last delivery from HayforPets 'had been delayed' according to courier tracking.
I'm not sure that I will use them again: waiting nearly a week for delivery is too long (I think).

ETA Just saw your post saying you had tracked. :oops:

Have you used the tracking? It is so disappointing/annoying. My last delivery from HayforPets 'had been delayed' according to courier tracking.
I'm not sure that I will use them again: waiting nearly a week for delivery is too long (I think).

ETA Just saw your post saying you had tracked. :oops:

o/h rang the courier and they said it should have turned up yesterday. they said it would be here today by 2pm, but it hasn't turned up so far. but we'll see if it does and what state it's in. hoping it's ok though.

o/h rang the courier and they said it should have turned up yesterday. they said it would be here today by 2pm, but it hasn't turned up so far. but we'll see if it does and what state it's in. hoping it's ok though.

Fingers crossed it turns up ok.

it turned up at 2.30pm. i was expecting cardboard but it was in the usual plastic bag. hay is good. it's the ings hay and it's lovely quality. :love:

I think they switched so they didn't have to use cardboard but the cost of the new courier was still slightly higher

I think they switched so they didn't have to use cardboard but the cost of the new courier was still slightly higher

it's worked out ok if they will now use an overnight/next day delivery. i prefer hay in cardboard generally as it keeps fresher, but at least plastic doesn't get soggy when wet! i think the ings would do well in both, but the other hays seem less fresh to me.

i'm really happy to be getting ings aswell now though. mollie and benjie (piggies) hadn't tried it before and they love it. and bisc loves it too, even though he never did in the past. and i love the smell of it :love: although bisc still likes it mixed with his timothy and rye, and mollie still loves the soft meadow hay... so now i feel like i need to buy all three!!! :shock::lol:

Yeah. It did confuse myself as well as the website talks about cost off delivery per pallet. Although on the individual bales it saying "This bale is sold as a single unit" and when it is added to paypal just the individual cost comes up. I think I will email and let everyone know the response. I might have to take the plunge and order some to see what it is like.

I am still trying to find a local hay supplier as I would like to try and really cut the cost of hay I buy.
Trying to source a local hay supplier up in the north east is really hard. Obviously I am not the only one having the problem. I have been given a name of a farmer near Heighington, Maysie Tucker has given me the name of her supplier down near York, also I am waiting to hear from the pet shop local to where I work as well.

I currently buy a meadow hay for bedding/litter trays from H4P and a timothy hay from TimothyHay, so it was costing £38 for 4 bunnies per month, but it will go to £40 and that is before pellets, vegetables, fenugreek crunchies, toys, insurance, etc. So I estimate that myself and my sister can spend around £100 per month on the 4 bunnies between us.

Hi I live around the corner from the Heighington farmer, the hay is nice and stalky but at this time of year I don't feed it to my rabbits or piggies, it's usually stored in an open sided store, and can be damp and fusty. Towards the end of the year with the new crop it is wonderful though. When quality is bad at my local I buy ings hay. hths

Back