• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eye slightly pink/inflammed? *Update* Cleared up now :)

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone,
Just wondering if I could possibly ask for some advice? I've just come home and given both of my girls their metacam (they had their spays on Wednesday - both are doing extremely well) and while giving Maple her dose I noticed that her lower eyelid on one side is a little pink and looks very slightly inflamed. There's no discharge coming from it or any other symptoms. She's acting completely normal (starving and begging for attention :lol:)
They both had their vaccination about a week before surgery (tried to get more of a gap between the vaccines and spay but that was the soonest they could do it) so she is vaccinated against Myxo. Problem is (and why I searched every vet in the area on the off chance someone still offered separate vaccines!) I know the combination doesn't seem to be as effective :/

Is it something I should be really concerned about or something I should just keep a close eye on? Could it be a result of a lowered immune system or a reaction to the metacam? I've been giving her 1ml as instructed since Thursday. Her final post-op appointment isn't until next Friday. I can get her to the vet tomorrow morning but would rather avoid tonight unless you think it should be considered more urgent as my actual vet is closed and I think they refer you to a more expensive emergency vet.

I can try to get a picture if that would help? Not sure how well it will come out as my rooms light isn't all that bright and I don't want to handle her any more than necessary at the moment (though I'm sure she'd welcome it - she's been going mad being cage-bound since the spay :roll:)

Thank you so much for any advice :)

Edit: Got some pictures. The first one is her good eye. By the way she's squinting a little in the second one as I had just stroked her (the only way to keep her still!)
Now that I've got a better look I can see that it is more inflamed than I thought :/ So that's a definite trip to the vets tomorrow..

11kzdjm.jpg

2m50biw.jpg

Last edited:
A photo would help as it could be a cause for concern. The vaccine takes 3 weeks to become effective so it could be a reaction to that - it would have been better to have spaced them out more. Hope she will be ok.

Thanks Tonibun. I wanted to but the vet messed me around a bit and the spay had to be done at a certain time :/
I wouldn't go back to that vet either as they weren't very friendly (the receptionist in fact was very rude). Whereas the vet they're at now (where they had their spay) have been fantastic.

Thanks for the photo - it does look a bit swollen . I'm no expert, so hope Jack's-Jane will be along soon. These bunnies are so worrying!

Thanks for the photo - it does look a bit swollen . I'm no expert, so hope Jack's-Jane will be along soon. These bunnies are so worrying!
Aren't they!? But so worth it :p
After getting a better look she's definitely going up the vets tomorrow. She's going to love me.. :roll:
As I said she's got absolutely no other symptoms. She's completely normal (bounced back her spay very quickly - even the vet said they'd done remarkably well) so hoping this isn't anything serious :?

Edit:
Have just had another thought. I recently bought her a hay ring (the type that hang from the top of the cage) and she's been batting that around with her nose like mad the past few days (funny as the last time I bought her one she wasn't that bothered!). Could it be that some hay got in there and caused a reaction? Or would that have created a discharge?

Last edited:
Yes I think it would have caused a discharge if she had some hay in there. Sorry I can't be more helpful :(

Don't apologize! You've been very helpful - thank you! :) I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing. I'll keep an eye on it until morning and see what the vet says tomorrow.

I must admit that does look to a bit concerning. Do her ears feel unusually warm ? Do her genitals look a swollen ?

The vaccine actually takes three weeks to provide a full immune response and thus maximum protection. A GA so soon after the vaccine was given may inhibit the immune response. Hopefully the eye may just be mildly infected, but I would still want the Vet to take a look ASAP.

Hi Jack's-Jane,
Thanks for the reply. No, her ears feel normal. If anything I'd say cool, though not cold. I'm a little worried about picking her up to check her... Area... I'll try to in a minute but she hates being picked up at the best of times. I've been checking her stitches when she periscopes (which she does a lot)
I wish the first vet had told me that :/ I wanted a longer gap between surgery and vaccination but as I said the spay had to be before a certain date and the vet who did the vaccines messed us around. Now I'm worried this is my fault :( I'll never forgive myself if this is Myxo...

Try not to worry tonight, hopefully the Vet will have good news tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks Tonibun, I will. I'm going to see if I can pick her up now and check her underneath.
Goodness, if this is my fault I'll never forgive myself. I really thought it was just a minor infection when I first posted tonight.
Thank you both for taking the time to answer. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Edit:
Just one quick update. I've checked her underneath and nothing looks even remotely swollen down there. So hopefully?..
Gave me a chance to check her stitches properly too. They look fantastic.
Really hoping this is a simple infection. I feel a little better seeing that she seems all clear underneath now.
As I said earlier I'll post an update tomorrow.
Thank you both so much for your help

Last edited:
Hi Jack's-Jane,
Thanks for the reply. No, her ears feel normal. If anything I'd say cool, though not cold. I'm a little worried about picking her up to check her... Area... I'll try to in a minute but she hates being picked up at the best of times. I've been checking her stitches when she periscopes (which she does a lot)
I wish the first vet had told me that :/ I wanted a longer gap between surgery and vaccination but as I said the spay had to be before a certain date and the vet who did the vaccines messed us around. Now I'm worried this is my fault :( I'll never forgive myself if this is Myxo...

It certainly would not be your fault. The Vet giving the vaccine should have explained the facts, not just assumed you'd know. That is their job and should be part of the service expected by a paying client. It may be that she caught her eye with a nail whilst having a scratch and it caused a bit of inflammation/infection. A bit of fucithalmic eye ointment should sort that out quickly.

Good luck at the Vets today xx

Thanks Jack's-Jane.
I've held off on the vet for the moment as looking at it this morning it's almost completely disappeared? There's a very slight touch of pink left but nothing like yesterday and the swelling has gone down completely. Surely if it was Myxo or something else harmful it would have stayed the same or got worse? She's very well in herself. Ears are a good temp, no swelling elsewhere.
I'm wondering if something's irritated her. Maybe I still had some soap on my hands or something when I stroked her head? Or as you say she may have caught it with her nail. They are about ready for a trim (oh good...)
What I'm thinking of doing at the moment is watching her for today and if there's any trace left tomorrow get her up there first thing in the morning. But I'd really value your opinions, if it's not too much trouble?

I am so glad to hear that her eye seems a bit better, it almost doesn't seem possible the way it appeared yesterday. I was really worried about her. I think you are the best person to judge whether a Vet's visit is needed. Is her "bad" eye almost the same as the other eye then now? If so, great! Thank you for updating us.

Thanks Jack's-Jane.
I've held off on the vet for the moment as looking at it this morning it's almost completely disappeared? There's a very slight touch of pink left but nothing like yesterday and the swelling has gone down completely. Surely if it was Myxo or something else harmful it would have stayed the same or got worse? She's very well in herself. Ears are a good temp, no swelling elsewhere.
I'm wondering if something's irritated her. Maybe I still had some soap on my hands or something when I stroked her head? Or as you say she may have caught it with her nail. They are about ready for a trim (oh good...)
What I'm thinking of doing at the moment is watching her for today and if there's any trace left tomorrow get her up there first thing in the morning. But I'd really value your opinions, if it's not too much trouble?

It sounds like she's doing really well. I would watch and wait and see how she goes ....... x

I would hold off the vet if she looks better. It may be that it was something silly like hay or dust in her eye. If it gets worse at all then definitely get her to the vet but hopefully it's nothing to worry about. :)

Just in case any of you were concerned I thought I'd post one last update. Maple's eye has cleared up completely today :D
I'm so relieved as it was really starting to panic me. I guess it was some kind of irritation or a reaction to something.
Whatever it was it looks like it's over with now, thank goodness.
Thank you all so very much for your help :D It is truly appreciated :thumb:

Just in case any of you were concerned I thought I'd post one last update. Maple's eye has cleared up completely today :D
I'm so relieved as it was really starting to panic me. I guess it was some kind of irritation or a reaction to something.

Thank you, I certainly am interested! :thumb:

So glad to know Maple is doing well xx

What a relief !! :D

Back