• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Life is so unfair!!! :(

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Just got back from the vets for the bunnies vaccinations and they have found more problems with little Alice :(
She has to have another dental and they have also found a spur on her top tooth that is in her gum so not sure they can do anything, vet said it's usually seen end stage dental problems.
I've got some medicine that I need to put on her gums with a cotton bud (yeah right) as she has gingivitis swelling and if that calms it down there is a possibly it could be treated.
I've tried SO hard to fix all her problems, the vet said it's just what happens when they try and breed bunnies so small, I feel like I'm failing her as I can't help her anymore!
Oh and to top it off Bear has dental issues as well :(

He's going to wait a month as she was vaccinated today.
She's on metacam and he doesn't think she will be in any pain by holding off, she is not showing any signs of needing a dental it was only realised as he checked her teeth today.

They also want to wait to see if the inflammation at the top goes down to see if there is anything they can do for her top teeth.

There as good as they can be, there caused by the problem in her spine and she is on metacam daily and seems bright enough in herself. I'm going to pay to have bloods done when she goes in for her dental though to check her kidneys.
She also has very bowed front legs to which doesn't help :(
I just hope she's not in any pain, it breaks my heart to thinks she might be, I've tried absolutely everything I can to help with her problems I feel absolutely useless at the moment :(

There as good as they can be, there caused by the problem in her spine and she is on metacam daily and seems bright enough in herself. I'm going to pay to have bloods done when she goes in for her dental though to check her kidneys.
I just hope she's not in any pain, it breaks my heart to thinks she might be, I've tried absolutely everything I can to help with her problems I feel absolutely useless at the moment :(

You are not useless !! You are doing everything possible to try to help her. Sadly there are some things that cant be fixed, but you are making sure that Alice has the best quality of life possible despite her problems. That is all any of us can do for a Rabbit with a deformity/disability and/or other chronic conditions xx

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this. I have to wonder whether there is any correlation between this and the breakdown of the bonding that happened recently. You might find, when alice is feeling better, that things improve in that area too.

You are not useless !! You are doing everything possible to try to help her. Sadly there are some things that cant be fixed, but you are making sure that Alice has the best quality of life possible despite her problems. That is all any of us can do for a Rabbit with a deformity/disability and/or other chronic conditions xx

Thank you :)
It's just hard seeing her like this I wish I could give her a normal life like she deserves, she's the most amazing rabbit I've ever had with such a big character ill be lost without her but I don't want her suffering.

Sending lots of love and de-swelling gum wishes to wee Alice, she'll always be special as she's teenier than my Ren!

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this. I have to wonder whether there is any correlation between this and the breakdown of the bonding that happened recently. You might find, when alice is feeling better, that things improve in that area too.

I'm convinced this is what's happened with the bond as they have been happy for so long it seems weird they have suddenly switched.
As soon as they started fighting my 1st thought was I wonder if she's poorly again :(

I'm convinced this is what's happened with the bond as they have been happy for so long it seems weird they have suddenly switched.
As soon as they started fighting my 1st thought was I wonder if she's poorly again :(

It often happens. Or the poorly Bun can become the aggressor.

I'm so sorry. :( I know it is difficult when there's not much you can do but you really are doing everything right by her and you can't possibly be doing more.

Fiver's hocks are getting worse these days (caused by spondylitis) and I know exactly how you feel. I am hoping that putting him out on grass during the day in Summer will help but at the end of the day there isn't much we can do for thse kinds of things. :(

I am sorry her teeth are so bad. It is so awful that these could all be avoided if the breeder just bred healthy buns. :( She is a beautiful rabbit as well and it's so unfair that she has to go through all of this pain.

Sending her tons and tons of vibes. x

You are doing absolutely everything you can to alleviate her problems. Much more than many would do, as I'm sure you know!
I'm sorry you're feeling down about this ... I hope this week brings better things for you xx

Back