• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone use straw?

weeble

I'm thinking of trying it for Albert to see if it helps him be more comfortable but am a bit concerned they might eat it

I use straw in the bed chamber because I was informed that it's warmer than hay.

They will eat barley straw more readily than other straw, that's what I found - but it gives them really golden poops, :lol:

Eating straw isn't too much of a problem providing they don't eat the lot as it's not very nutritious and I know in horses it can cause colic but not sure about that in bunnies.

Mine don't eat it now, so I'm pleased about that.

I have straw in their hidy house and they love snuggling in it...Willow is a digger so most ends up outside,,,

I'm thinking of trying it for Albert to see if it helps him be more comfortable but am a bit concerned they might eat it

I use straw and hay in litter trays, and I have a bunny who likes to eat the odd strand.

Some people say it can contain mycotoxins, but to be honest, from all the research I've done, it's hay that's much more of a problem in that respect (aspergillosis, etc ...). Also I have come across many more buns being allergic to hay than straw.

For outdoor buns it's so much warmer than hay, as it's hollow and thus more insulating.

I think that's enough singing the praises of straw :lol:

(oh, and it's far cheaper than hay!)

I use straw for my two - in their bed, again, I was told it was warmer for them, and if I give them only hay in their bed, they eat it all, and end up with no bed! they do eat a bit of it, that's why I top it with hay, they eat the hay instead - they love digging in the straw

I use straw for my two - in their bed, again, I was told it was warmer for them, and if I give them only hay in their bed, they eat it all, and end up with no bed! they do eat a bit of it, that's why I top it with hay, they eat the hay instead - they love digging in the straw

I find this with the guinea pigs who board with me ..... they spend all night eating their bed and in the morning sit there waiting for some more 'bed' :lol:

My girls eat hay and straw indiscriminately. I am constantly having to top up both in the winter as they are mad about it. In Summer, I do try to stick to hay though.

I use straw in their litter tray along with newspaper and hay. They do have a good old dig and have eaten some but usually they just have the hay.

I use Barley Straw for mine at mo... it's really soft and pliable and lovely and warm.

I only pack it around the corners and edges of their shed and sleeping areas to prevent drafts.. and then cover with a thick layer of hay..

It's lovely in there, I'd sleep in there if I could... mine try to eat everything, but they've never gone for the straw, except to re-arrange it, as I obviously don't make their beds correctly.. never seen them eating it, have seen lots of lots of hay nomming though :)

Thanks Jane I can get chopped straw which might be better too. I think looking at him today it might only be for a few weeks :(

Oh, I'm sorry ... :(

I posted my above post before I read your's about him maybe not having long :(

My thoughts are with you... hope some comfy-ness for Albert can be arranged xxXxx

Last edited:
Back