• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gardening Assistance

new_horizon

Young Bun
Hello All! Have our rabbits living in our garden (four in total) and the garden is starting to look rather bear. Lots of gravel, wood shavings and...well wooden hutches and shed. Would like to put some greenery in - they have destroyed the grass through the winter (as expected), so just re-seeding that (although they are eating the seed too, so may take a while!). Have a few hanging baskets, but nothing much else - are there are plants that are safe/rabbit really do not like eating? Heard about Lavender as an option...but in my experience they tend to eat pretty much anything that is available!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Wood shavings aren't recommended for bunnies, they can cause respiratory problems. So if you changed to non slip vinyl or rubber stable matting on the floor of the hutch and use litter trays with woodpellet cat litter topped with hay that should cut down on mess, and cleaning out time too :thumb: do they have secure runs attached to the hutches for exercise? That would stop them eating all the plants, apart from at supervised free range time.

I'm a big fan of vertical gardening, I've attached trellis to the walls and fences and hang pots from the trellis. That way the buns can free range (with supervision) but can't reach the plants. Although most of the plants are herbs for the buns I get to control how much and when they can have them.

Upturning empty hanging baskets over plants will protect them, and the bunnies will trim perfect little domes for you ;) Not much they won't nibble though so things like hanging baskets, standard plants (trunks with plant at the top) that you can protect the trunk of etc. are your best bet.

Back