• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for People who have House rabbits :)

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I have two rabbits but they live outside in our barn. But I was wondering about having a house bunny. Does anyone have a rabbit that goes in and out like a cat? I was thinking it would be lovely to have a house rabbit and then be able to go out in the garden with him. But I didn't know if this is too stressful and it has to be one or the other??

Thanks! :wave:

My concerns would be temperature difference and feasibility of attaching a run with access to the house.

My indoor bunny never goes out now, we did take him outside last summer but he is much happier inside.

Hi everyone,

I have two rabbits but they live outside in our barn. But I was wondering about having a house bunny. Does anyone have a rabbit that goes in and out like a cat? I was thinking it would be lovely to have a house rabbit and then be able to go out in the garden with him. But I didn't know if this is too stressful and it has to be one or the other??

Thanks! :wave:

My house rabbits come into the garden with me. They have a ball! But I'm not sure that's what you meant .. ? They come in and out of the house as they wish, when the door is open (they don't have a rabbit flap :lol: )

I have had rabbits for 7 years now as house buns and every morning for an hour before work they all go outside - they run to the back door looking out and then in the evening they are out for at least 2 hrs at their request! This is all year round. Temperature changes dont affect them at all. Now admittedly if there is snow or frost they will only go out for about half an hour - again their choice to go out. They love poking about in the snow !

I have had rabbits for 7 years now as house buns and every morning for an hour before work they all go outside - they run to the back door looking out and then in the evening they are out for at least 2 hrs at their request! This is all year round. Temperature changes dont affect them at all. Now admittedly if there is snow or frost they will only go out for about half an hour - again their choice to go out. They love poking about in the snow !

Yes I had a house bun who loved the snow. I've photos of him in the snow in the garden :lol:
I think if it's their choice, and they can come and go .. there's no harm x

I've had previous house bunnies who used the cat flap and came and went as they pleased....they loved it. My current girlie doesn't go outside yet as my outdoor buns are free range outside

Delilah and Frankie are semi house rabbits as they mainly live in THEIR conservatory which is always left cool, and then during the day when I am able to supervise them, they play outside. But deep down I would love to have pure house rabbits, to sit and watch them play, snuggle up at night......... Oh well, I have many house rabbits come and stay with me, so I have the best of both worlds.:thumb:

Back