• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Warts?

RosieRoo

New Kit
Hi, I have never posted on here before but just thought I would see if anybody else has had a similar experience...

This afternoon my bunny went to the vet, she has a wart on her dewlap. They are operating to remove it next week. Has anybody else had this procedure done? is it common for a wart to be removed under general anesthetic (I have only heard of vets telling owners to leave to fall off by itself)? what do vets usually charge for this type of procedure - I have been quoted £160?
The wart is about the size of bonbon sweet and is not causing her any distress whatsoever. Obviously I will ensure she has any treatment she needs but just looking to compare other peoples experiences as this is the first time I have used this vet!

Do people think I should seek a second opinion?

Thanks,

RosieRoo

Last edited:
Hi, I have never posted on here before but just thought I would see if anybody else has had a similar experience...

This afternoon my bunny went to the vet, she has a wart on her dewlap. They are operating to remove it next week. Has anybody else had this procedure done? is it common for a wart to be removed under general anesthetic (I have only heard of vets telling owners to leave to fall off by itself)? what do vets usually charge for this type of procedure - I have been quoted £160?
The wart is about the size of bonbon sweet and is not causing her any distress whatsoever. Obviously I will ensure she has any treatment she needs but just looking to compare other peoples experiences as this is the first time I have used this vet!

Thanks,

RosieRoo

It sounds to be very large for a 'wart' so it may be that the Vet feels removal and histology testing to identify exactly what it is is necessary. All Vets set their own fees, so it is not always easy to give comparisons. All I will say is that cheaper does not always mean 'better value', neither does more expensive mean 'superior quality care'. If you do not feel confident in the Vet's judgement then you are entitled to obtain a second opinion.

Good luck xx

Thanks,

RosieRoo

I am surprised they are charging you that amount of money for what they term a 'wart'.

If it was a cyst or lump that they would be concerned about I can understand more. Perhaps you could clarify with them exactly what they will do with the tissue when it's removed - i.e. do they intend on sending it to a lab to be analysed in case further treatment is needed?

Thankyou both for replying. On inspection the wart is actually a bit smaller than a bonbon (in my head I thought it was bigger when I was writing). The confusing thing was that the vet didn't actually explain anything about what they wanted to do in the operation, and didn't even mention testing it for anything. She said absolutely nothing about the possibility of it being a cyst/lump, just a wart. She didn't seem particularly confident about what she was saying anyway; I think I will be getting a second opinion (even if its just to conclude it definitely needs to be removed). I should have asked more questions really but I was just in a bit of a shock!

Thanks, :D

RosieRoo

Thankyou both for replying. On inspection the wart is actually a bit smaller than a bonbon (in my head I thought it was bigger when I was writing). The confusing thing was that the vet didn't actually explain anything about what they wanted to do in the operation, and didn't even mention testing it for anything. She said absolutely nothing about the possibility of it being a cyst/lump, just a wart. She didn't seem particularly confident about what she was saying anyway; I think I will be getting a second opinion (even if its just to conclude it definitely needs to be removed). I should have asked more questions really but I was just in a bit of a shock!

RosieRoo

Hopefully you can go armed with a lot of questions to ask the 'Second Opinion' Vet. Maybe right down a list of all you want to know so that you can refer to it during the consult if you start to feel a bit over-whelmed by it all. It is so easy to become struck dumb when in an anxiety provoking situation. I usually think of loads of questions I had wanted to ask once I am back home from the consult !! Then my poor Vet has to put up with a panicked phone call from me. Just aswell she has the patience of a saint !

RosieRoo

I suspected your vet didn't sound 100% confident. Annoying for you that you feel you have to go to the expense of seeing another vet, but worth it in the long run, as you may find a gem who will always look after your rabbits well.

You could always ring back the surgery and speak to one of the nurses to find out what exactly she wrote on your rabbit's records, just for your own info, even if you don't plan on going any further with them.

Good luck xx

Hi,

Just thought I would post an update! :) So I spoke to the vet nurse at the vets on Friday, who was really helpful but still didn't seem to know much about my bunny's problems :( She couldn't really answer my questions about what would happen in the operation, and also suggested I should try antibiotics before operating. I questioned what the benefit of antibiotics would be, as it won't make the lump fall off, and the nurse said it was to get rid of the infection because the vet had put in the notes about there being pus on the lump. This seemed really odd as there is no visible pus on Rosie, and she did not use a needle to see if any was inside. Also, the nurse then went on to say she couldn't actually dispense Rosie any antibiotics as they weren't sure what one to use. This naturally made me feel uneasy as I felt like they didn't really know about Rosie's case :(

So I have been bathing the lump as advised in warm salt water once a day to keep it clean, and this afternoon I took her to my piggie's vets. They advised to operate, but agreed there looked like there was no infection there as I had thought. They gave me a breakdown of costs and told me to go home and have a think as I don't want to rush in to surgery with a rabbit. I think of course I will go ahead, and will go with the second vets who seemed much more confident answering my questions and advising me about things.

Has anybody else had a bunny GA? she is overweight since we adopted her, and has lost a bit of weight but obviously this is still more risky,

RosieRoo

Hi,

Just thought I would post an update! :) So I spoke to the vet nurse at the vets on Friday, who was really helpful but still didn't seem to know much about my bunny's problems :( She couldn't really answer my questions about what would happen in the operation, and also suggested I should try antibiotics before operating. I questioned what the benefit of antibiotics would be, as it won't make the lump fall off, and the nurse said it was to get rid of the infection because the vet had put in the notes about there being pus on the lump. This seemed really odd as there is no visible pus on Rosie, and she did not use a needle to see if any was inside. Also, the nurse then went on to say she couldn't actually dispense Rosie any antibiotics as they weren't sure what one to use. This naturally made me feel uneasy as I felt like they didn't really know about Rosie's case :(

So I have been bathing the lump as advised in warm salt water once a day to keep it clean, and this afternoon I took her to my piggie's vets. They advised to operate, but agreed there looked like there was no infection there as I had thought. They gave me a breakdown of costs and told me to go home and have a think as I don't want to rush in to surgery with a rabbit. I think of course I will go ahead, and will go with the second vets who seemed much more confident answering my questions and advising me about things.

Has anybody else had a bunny GA? she is overweight since we adopted her, and has lost a bit of weight but obviously this is still more risky,

RosieRoo

Yes, lots of GA's on RU!

If she is very overweight, you could ask the vet's opinion on leaving the surgery for a while until she loses a bit more weight.

Can I ask if she is spayed? Reason is, if she wasn't and you were going to get her spayed in the near future, you could do both things together and have only one GA. For a spay she would need to be in a healthy condition and as close as is reasonable to a 'normal' weight for her breed.

Back