• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Settling in time and veggies

Buntybunny1

Warren Scout
So this is day 3 with bun and he has an indoor cage which we plan to keep open whenever we are here so he can roam free. The cage door is open and he sniffs outside of it but hasn't yet ventured out. I believe it's best to wait and not enter his space with my hand as this could unsettle him. So I thought of tempting him out but he can't have veggies yet. When can I introduce veggies like carrot etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1177ccc9dad89d89ebef4b3e2afec9bd.jpg
. As you can see he is very relaxed

I was told by his breeder no wet food at all so that would be no fresh herbs or carrot tops even. She said not till summer time

I know you need to slowly phase out muesli, but that is WAY too much food!!! Lessen it to an egg cup of muesli mixed with a sprinkle of new pellets, Excel or Science Select are good, and do this over a week to two weeks.

:thumb:

I haven't bought new food yet to mix in so breeder said unlimited at his age and unlimited pelleted when I start mixing them in

... Nope, muesli/pellets need to be restricted to around an eggcup full a day.

Rabbits should have at least 80% of their diet being hay/grass.

Crikey that contradicts everything I have read about baby bunnies. I know he must have heaps of hay which he has but everywhere else has said unlimited pellets whilst so young. What harm will it cause by allowing this amount?

Hiya, I know its really hard when their little but when I had my babies I was advised by the vets to be giving them 60g of pellets daily. Which was around 3 small egg cup fulls a day! I used to split this over 3 servings, for example 7am, 4pm & 10pm. With plenty of hay which you are doing which is brilliant! :)

But of course whatever works for you, I kept them on this until they reached 4 months old!

Thanks ruthyjones, how many baby buns did you have sharing that amount or was that amount per bun? I didn't realise it was too much as so many leaflets and website say unlimited

I don't know exactly how much a baby bun should have pellet/muesli wise but it is definitely more than an adult bun and therefore more than an eggcup full. I would leave it and wait for one of the forums experienced members to answer xx

No worries at all! I have 2 mini lops and 60g was given to each bun. Mine we're on the excel junior pellets which they loved, would still eat loads of hay.

Regarding veggies, I introduced these very slowly from around 13 weeks, but it was literally 1 sprout peeling, or a tiny head of broccoli, sprig of parsley etc. and of course monitor their poos as you don't want them upsetting their bellies x

Yes but it's a domestic rabbit not a wild one, perhaps habits are slightly different, wild rabbits don't live in the house but domestic ones do. Wild rabbits don't have the option of pellets but perhaps gain nutrients from other sorts of grasses etc

Back