PDA

View Full Version : Settling in time and veggies

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 09:33 PM
So this is day 3 with bun and he has an indoor cage which we plan to keep open whenever we are here so he can roam free. The cage door is open and he sniffs outside of it but hasn't yet ventured out. I believe it's best to wait and not enter his space with my hand as this could unsettle him. So I thought of tempting him out but he can't have veggies yet. When can I introduce veggies like carrot etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 09:33 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/12/1177ccc9dad89d89ebef4b3e2afec9bd.jpg. As you can see he is very relaxed

Sarahbun
12-03-2015, 10:04 PM
perhaps you could tempt him out with something else such as herbs or carrot tops :D

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 10:10 PM
I was told by his breeder no wet food at all so that would be no fresh herbs or carrot tops even. She said not till summer time

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 10:12 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/12/e6ff55d4365f5dc89a7462a9a9bbbfa3.jpg.

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 10:33 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/12/076a3674154a1d961bfb58675bc5278e.jpg

My tiny boy

Freakinfreak
12-03-2015, 10:35 PM
I know you need to slowly phase out muesli, but that is WAY too much food!!! Lessen it to an egg cup of muesli mixed with a sprinkle of new pellets, Excel or Science Select are good, and do this over a week to two weeks.

:thumb:

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:03 PM
I haven't bought new food yet to mix in so breeder said unlimited at his age and unlimited pelleted when I start mixing them in

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm going to use Allan and page but I have to order it in

Freakinfreak
12-03-2015, 11:18 PM
... Nope, muesli/pellets need to be restricted to around an eggcup full a day.

Rabbits should have at least 80% of their diet being hay/grass.

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Crikey that contradicts everything I have read about baby bunnies. I know he must have heaps of hay which he has but everywhere else has said unlimited pellets whilst so young. What harm will it cause by allowing this amount?

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:21 PM
I shall reduce the amount immediately btw so thanks

Ruthyjones89
12-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Hiya, I know its really hard when their little but when I had my babies I was advised by the vets to be giving them 60g of pellets daily. Which was around 3 small egg cup fulls a day! I used to split this over 3 servings, for example 7am, 4pm & 10pm. With plenty of hay which you are doing which is brilliant! :)

But of course whatever works for you, I kept them on this until they reached 4 months old!

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Thanks ruthyjones, how many baby buns did you have sharing that amount or was that amount per bun? I didn't realise it was too much as so many leaflets and website say unlimited

mushlett
12-03-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't know exactly how much a baby bun should have pellet/muesli wise but it is definitely more than an adult bun and therefore more than an eggcup full. I would leave it and wait for one of the forums experienced members to answer xx

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Ok thanks so much I just googled and most sites say unlimited at his age

mushlett
12-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Ok thanks so much I just googled and most sites say unlimited at his age

I think you are right xx

Ruthyjones89
12-03-2015, 11:32 PM
No worries at all! I have 2 mini lops and 60g was given to each bun. Mine we're on the excel junior pellets which they loved, would still eat loads of hay.

Regarding veggies, I introduced these very slowly from around 13 weeks, but it was literally 1 sprout peeling, or a tiny head of broccoli, sprig of parsley etc. and of course monitor their poos as you don't want them upsetting their bellies x

Freakinfreak
12-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Surely baby rabbits from the wild would just eat more grass? Why do they need more pellets?

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Yes but it's a domestic rabbit not a wild one, perhaps habits are slightly different, wild rabbits don't live in the house but domestic ones do. Wild rabbits don't have the option of pellets but perhaps gain nutrients from other sorts of grasses etc

Buntybunny1
12-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Thanks again. I'll keep with the extra for now as that's what breeder said and most websites. I can check with my vet too

joybell
13-03-2015, 01:34 AM
My buns (17 weeks) have unlimited junior excel pellets, a selection of different hay, small amounts of fresh herbs and I'm gradually trying out kale, savoy cabbage and a little carrot. They are still growing, so I'll carry on with unlimited pellets until they're about 6 months old. As a treat I sprinkle Nature touch junior forage in their hay so they have to eat more hay to find it! (from PAH)

Azucena
13-03-2015, 01:40 AM
I would say 2-3 egg cups a day at that age. Personally, I wouldn't give unlimited. Especially not with muesli as he will just be picking his favourite bits and not getting the full array of nutrients.

Rose was around 10 weeks when I adopted her, and any more than that and she left cecals (indicating her diet was too rich). She is a medium sized adult.

Also, herbs etc are MUCH better for a rabbit than carrots (very high in sugar) so I'm a little confused by the breeder saying that. I would wait a couple of weeks to try anything, and even then very small (initial) amounts. Herbs/forage and not veg.

Buntybunny1
13-03-2015, 10:34 AM
She said wet food could upset the tummy until he is older and more settled and fresh herbs would surely be classed as wet because they are similar to cabbage etc. he hasn't produced any cecals either. I'll ring the vets and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone for your help

Azucena
13-03-2015, 10:46 AM
She said wet food could upset the tummy until he is older and more settled and fresh herbs would surely be classed as wet because they are similar to cabbage etc. he hasn't produced any cecals either. I'll ring the vets and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone for your help

Herbs are much better for them than cabbage. But as I said I'd wait a few weeks and certainly not give any carrot.

Is your vet rabbit savvy?

Buntybunny1
13-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes an exotics vet

Buntybunny1
13-03-2015, 10:49 AM
So if I get some nice fresh basil and parsley for a few weeks time and just give him a little tiny bit at a time. Thanks again

Family_Moose
13-03-2015, 11:52 AM

If you've not seen any cecals then that's a good thing and he's producing enough to eat rather than too many therefore leaving some for you to find.
When I got our girls I kept seeing about cecals and worried that I'd never seen any, when actually not seeing any is a very good thing! (I've seen one in the 6/7 months we've had the girls).