• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets/muesli

Hey:wave:my new bunny is on muesli at the moment and I've heard they need unlimited food, so all day does she have to have access to it? I will be swapping her over to pellets soon enough but don't want to make changes too quickly (as muesli is what she is fed with the breeder) also what age do I start reducing the amount of food? Thankyou☺️

Personally, I'd do 2-3 egg cups. If they aren't leaving anything then maybe another eggcup. Unlimited with muesli is a bad idea as they will just pick out their favourite bits.

7 weeks is you g to be leaving the breeder, though. Therefore I'd be inclined to take anything they say with a pinch of salt...

I'd gradually reduce til she's on an eggcup at about six months old.

Hay should always be unlimited.

I agree with the above. You should wait until the bunny is at least 8 weeks old - thats when they can leave their mum.
Definitely unlimited hay/grass, it should be around 90-95% of the diet. You can give pellets too, but about a cup a day. My rabbit doesn't even eat that much because she eats so much grass!
Any other questions just ask/message x :)

Thanks so much guys! I will make sure she doesn't get that much muesli/pellets then, do you have any suggestions for the food changeover? I know 7weeks is young, but I obviously can't decide when she is leaving, I will just make sure I'm taking extra care of her, thanks!☺️

I would keep here on the same brand of food as the breeder for several weeks, possibly more with her being a very young baby, then very slowly and very gradually start to swap to pellets until after a few weeks she is changed to the pellets.

It's also a good idea to ask the breeder if your new bunny has been introduced to veg and grass. If yes you will be able to give her small bits but if no you will have to wait until she is about 12 weeks old. I don't like a baby rabbit to be hungry so I would always be very generous with all the food she eats and you will be able to see how much she is eating and whether you are feeding too much or too little.

Back