• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long to quarantine a bunny with potential VHD?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
how long should you quarantine a bunny if his partner has died suddenly and you suspect it could be VHD? I want to introduce him to my others as he's now a solo bun but not sure how long I should keep him apart. I want him to be happy and not alone but of course don't want to risk the others

Did you get a post mortem on the bunny you lost?

Are the others vaccinated?

Why quarantine precautions are you taking?

VHD isn't the only concern with sudden death, just one of many. Without a post mortem (and therefore cause of death known or, the the least, the biggies ruled out) I would wait at least a month of no symptoms.

Thank you sky o - vet wouldn't do a post mortem. I think they a few weeks behind on vaccines :(

Just keeping separate at present although I'm going to do more obviously - the set ups are side by side should I move them? At vets this afternoon

What was the vets thought process behind that?

Coccidiosis is a concern too, so you need to take into account. Personally, I would be ensuring no scrap of faeces, urine, contaminant can get from the single to the others, so no walking into one area and then straight into the other, see to the lone bunny last, different dustpan and brushes, all things like that.

Also- if you're going to vaccinate and introduce, then you'll need to wait until the immunity has taken hold, which I believe is three weeks? Although that doesn't obviously protect against coccidia.

The vet thought it wouldn't show anything. I lost 2 a month ago and 1 last night. I had a spell of losses a few years ago - piggies and chins as well - but these guys have been fine for years. IT was the emergency vet I spoke to last night I'm going to a different vets today - I've just moved and I would travel to my regular vet but can't get in til Monday

Thanks sky o I will do that - should I move the others elsewhere temporarily? They could stay somewhere else for a few weeks

If it were just last night Id suggest finding a vet who can do a comprehensive PM and who can do the appropriate indepth sample taking and testing (histopathology) which should give you some answers, or at least rule out some things.

The vet thought it wouldn't show anything. I lost 2 a month ago and 1 last night. I had a spell of losses a few years ago - piggies and chins as well - but these guys have been fine for years. IT was the emergency vet I spoke to last night I'm going to a different vets today - I've just moved and I would travel to my regular vet but can't get in til Monday

Thanks sky o I will do that - should I move the others elsewhere temporarily? They could stay somewhere else for a few weeks

Only if there are no other Rabbits there.

I am very sorry for your losses. The time scale of them does not point to VHD, but obviously it cant be completely ruled out. What symptoms, if any, did the Rabbits exhibit immediately prior to passing ?

Yes there are no other rabbits there Jane x might it be worth a go?

Thank you - no symptoms at all, they were absolutely fine. I thought the same Jane surely if it was VHD the deaths would be much closer? Obviously I don't want to rule anything out though.

Waiting to hear back about PM

Back