• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have to Leave my Bunnies for 3 weeks.. very nervous!

Bunny Magics

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone... apologies for long post but.. I'm wondering how other people have dealt with leaving their buns in someone else's care :shock:

I'll try to keep the story short..

I am going abroad to South Africa and Botswana next week to visit my family for 3 weeks.. unlike the rest of my family, I am a home Bun and my world revolves around my furry babies ( being 47 years old with no children, they are all I have )

So.. exciting adventure ahead, I know that, and it will be fab. But I'm getting quite wound up about having to leave them in someone else's care. We have such a close relationship, my Buns and I, my day revolves around them, and theirs revolves around me. I know their every move, their every shiny eye, every nose snort, every poop, every little run tunnel they have made in their deep bed of hay in their shed, every blade of grass they eat, how much water they drink, where they like to sit and run over the course of a day, week, month.

I have plans in place :

1) My cousin, who is very animal savvy, kind and gentle is coming to house-sit and Bunny-sit.
2) My vet's know I'm going away and that my Buns will be having an alternative carer.
3) I am in contact with a professional Pet Care Service who know my Bunnies well, as a contact for my cousin, should she need it.

I've prepared 3 weeks of hay, food, writing care notes, have all my Rabbit care books lined up.

But I can't help but worry ( I'm laughing at myself, whilst writing this, but it's true )

How do other furry baby mum's cope with leaving them ?

Also.. I am spring cleaning their shed and runs tomorrow and over the weekend, as I don't want to leave old bedding in their area whilst I am away.. the weather may warm up.. the carers wont check their shed and run and bums, and eyes and ears like I do.

So.. advice needed on the spring clean.. I'm planning on going through everything whilst shutting the buns in their run... deep cleaning their 2 story shed hidey and all the corners, but I'm thinking of leaving their nest zone as I'm thinking it would be too much for them to have their entire set removed and replaced, just days before I go... on top of new carers who will have a different routine and be strangers.

What if they get poorly and have to go to vets ?
No one else knows how to pick them up, no one knows my routine with such an issue.

I'm exhausted and worrying toooo much... cry :roll:

Thankyou for reading X

I'm worrying about this exact same thing when I go away in May for two weeks to Florida! I'm leaving the rabbits in my mum's care but I know she will be fabulous!

She would never take a risk with them and knows what to look for with regards to health etc.

I'm going to prepare some notes for her too with what I usually feed them and around what time. I know they will be fine.

If you do all you can then that's all you can do, you're already doing the best thing by choosing someone you trust and giving them instructions, plus what to do if there is a problem.

I'm basically going to tell my mum ''If they race to the front for their pellet in the morning and eat it straight away, they are fine'' :lol: this is generally how I know they are fit and well!

She's learned an awful lot through listening to me go on about my rabbits. So I think they are in good hands x

How exciting :thumb: I understand how worried you must be, but it really sounds like you have covered everything, I would include in your notes what vegetables/forage etc they can have, and quantities, so that they don't get given anything new. I would also write down where to get hay from and what food they have in case anything happens to it. (My daughter once left the lid off the feed tub and left it outside, and it got wet and spoilt :roll:) so if they know where to get replacement food from that might be useful.

I would leave a note of any insurance details.
I am sure if you write down the quantities frequency of feeding they will be fine :thumb:
As for taking them to the vets if necessary, between now and when you go can you put your carrier in their set up, and put their food in there, then Hooefully they will just hop in :thumb: That is what I do with my 2 nervy bunnies, in fact their carrier gets left in their shed all the time, and they get fed every day in it, so when it comes to vet visits I don't even have to pick them up thumb:

One more idea, you could tell them about RU and then if they need a bit of advice they will know where to come :thumb:

One more idea, you could tell them about RU and then if they need a bit of advice they will know where to come :thumb:

Yes ! I've thought of that .. can I let my cousin post thru my account, or should I make one for her ?

I think i'll make one for her, and if she doesn't spend at least 4 hours a day on RU, she's not my friend anymore :D

Yes ! I've thought of that .. can I let my cousin post thru my account, or should I make one for her ?

I think i'll make one for her, and if she doesn't spend at least 4 hours a day on RU, she's not my friend anymore :D

I think I would make one for her if I were you. She could post something like 'help/advice wanted re Bunny Magic's bunnies' then we will know who she is :thumb:

Would it be possible also for your cousin to send regular photos of the buns (eg via e-mail or smartphone) to put your mind at rest while you're away? I know it's not the same as being there yourself but it should give you reassurance that they're happy and healthy.

Your trip sounds amazing, really hope you have a fantastic time!

Have a great time! Not got much advice about bunny-sitters, as all mine have been great (especially the last who Lopsy went ill on :roll:) but if your buns are generally fit and well there shouldn't be any problems :) Try not to worry: that's like telling the clouds not to rain ;P But remember to enjoy yourself too!

Back