• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous about taking Mr Higgins for his claw clipping and health assesement

HelenSB

Warren Scout
Hi all. As some of you know I'm the owner of 1 year old Mr Higgins.
He's due his vaccination boosters and his first ever claw clipping. I'm so nervous about taking him as he's not very easy to hold for treatment. Can any of you reasure me that it's an easy procedure for him. How exactly do the vets restrain rabbits? I understand he's not the only awkward bunny who doesn't enjoy vets appointments.

He should have a full health check prior to being vaccinated, just to make sure he is fit and healthy and able to have the vaccine. If Mr Higgins is nervous/awkward, perhaps you could explain this to the vet as soon as you go in and he/she can then get a nurse in to help hold him.

Rabbits should be held firmly yet gently. If at any time you feel the vet or nurse is restraining too roughly, then you must speak up and voice your concern. If rabbits are particularly skittish, then sometimes it is safer for them to be done on the floor so that there is no chance of them leaping off the table. Some parts of a health check could be done by keeping the bunny in the carrier with the top half removed, this might make him feel safer.

Sometimes you find that awkward and wriggley bunnies are a nightmare to handle at home, but are as good as gold for the vet. :roll: I have a couple like that.

I hope Mr Higgins behaves himself and all goes well. xx

Unfortunately he has a bit of a reputation at the vets. When he had his first ever vaccinations he did a full back flip and when he was neutered the vet said he was "the naughtiest rabbit they'd ever had." I certainly will tell them that he's rather highly strung and suggest he's treated on the floor. Oh well, it's got to be done so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and make him an appointment.

Goodness, he does sound very highly strung. Definitely think the floor would be the safest option for him.

Having said his naughty points he's very loving and enjoys being stroked and made a fuss of. He just doesn't like being held. I hope he won't be too cross with me for taking him. It's for his own good after all.

I have one like that, I do feel for you! Have you ever tried Pet Remedy? Its a calming spray that might make him a little more relaxed. I find that talking and stroking a nervy bunny helps them, I also do as Tracy said and have them seen in the carrier with the top off. Its so much kinder than trying to pull a frightened bun out. I find that removing the top and letting them have a look around first helps. Another tip that works, is covering the eyes, if he cant see then he is less likely to jump. Try and do it without him noticing what you are doing though lol! Pretend you are stroking him ;)

Ask your vet to clip claws without picking him up, Ive had this done before on buns I can't handle. They sit in the carrier and vet will just pick each paw up at a time, whilst I stroke them.

Good luck! x

I'd not heard of pet remedy but have now ordered some. If it doesn't calm Mr Higgins it might work on me...lol

Haha....All of us rabbit owners will end up living off pet remedy during times of stress. Many thanks for your help Tracy and Julia. I shall phone the vets and make an appointment now.

Haha....All of us rabbit owners will end up living off pet remedy during times of stress. Many thanks for your help Tracy and Julia. I shall phone the vets and make an appointment now.

I have valerian and lavender tea too..... I think stress comes with being a bunny parent!! :shock: I hope it goes well x

ETA for me not the buns!!

Following this :wave: I think I have the same issue with our newest bun after yesterday at the vets for check and vacs. She is the calmest, friendliest girl at home but she really didn't like the whole vet experience, so she'll stay on the floor for next time. Good luck for Tues! X

Thanks Louise. I shall report back and let everyone know how we get on. Definitely a good idea for any further treatment to be done on the floor. I received the Pet Remedy today (quick delivery from amazon prime) so sprayed a little on Mr Higgins' blanket. I think it helped a bit. He was happy for me to remove a dropping that was stuck to him that he wouldn't let me get at yesterday so I'm hoping it will help on Tuesday.

It can be nerve wracking with a feisty bun..Our vet had Bobo wrapped in a towel and on the floor because he is such a little sod💜.

We have to take Bug in soon for her manicure. .dreading it but has to be done..she will be on the floor too.
Always feel like a mum of badly behaved kids and everyone looking on going 'tut'😀

It can be nerve wracking with a feisty bun..Our vet had Bobo wrapped in a towel and on the floor because he is such a little sod��.

We have to take Bug in soon for her manicure. .dreading it but has to be done..she will be on the floor too.
Always feel like a mum of badly behaved kids and everyone looking on going 'tut'��

Wrapped in a towel, excellent idea :)

Smudge kept thumping in the waiting area too and I did feel like the embarrassed parent :-D

I know what you mean about feeling like a bad parent. I feel.like shouting out "he's an ADHD rabbit!"

Back