• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns like branches?

AmyKennedy

Young Bun
Hey guys!! We have a pear tree and 2 small Apple trees in out garden which are being cut down today :((( so i wanted to know, do your buns like pear and apple branches? Do I have to clean them first? Twigs or branches or "slices"? Can you keep them or dry them in some way or only freshly cut? Thanks so much 💕

Yes, my bunnies love fruit branches! Mine only like them when fairly fresh, but many like them dried too. You can dry them yourself quite easily but I'm not 100% sure on the best way to do it, so I'll leave that for someone else. You don't have to clean them but some people like to. Whole twigs and small branches along with any leaves and buds go down well. Large branches will also be nibbled but it depends whether they fit in your setup, so you can always chop them down to smaller and more manageable chunks. My bunnies only like the leaves and the bark, whereas others will chew the inside too.

Both apple and pear branches are bunny safe - as long as no chemicals have been used on the tree they are safe to be given direct to the bunnies, and can be stored in a dry place too :wave:

Yes, my bunnies love fruit branches! Mine only like them when fairly fresh, but many like them dried too. You can dry them yourself quite easily but I'm not 100% sure on the best way to do it, so I'll leave that for someone else. You don't have to clean them but some people like to. Whole twigs and small branches along with any leaves and buds go down well. Large branches will also be nibbled but it depends whether they fit in your setup, so you can always chop them down to smaller and more manageable chunks. My bunnies only like the leaves and the bark, whereas others will chew the inside too.
Thanks! She's a house bun so space isnt an issue, I guess i'll try her out with all different kinds :) theres still no leaves unfortunately :(

Both apple and pear branches are bunny safe - as long as no chemicals have been used on the tree they are safe to be given direct to the bunnies, and can be stored in a dry place too :wave:

awesome :) We havent used anything on them, they have been there for years and years, it used to be my great grandmas house :) I will keep them in the garage (its cool, not damp or anything) and hopefully she will like them :D

My buns liked branches from a tree in my garden, usually when some of the small branches snapped, I would put some un their hutches (they loved it when it was windy lol)

My bun Ben loves river birch twigs :) Jack and Timmy very briefly liked them and then decided they didn't anymore. None of mine like apple but I'm going to keep trying other types of branches and see if they take a liking to any!

My boys can be very fickle :lol: They'll refuse to try something, then they'll eventually try it and like it, then you offer it another day and they don't like it anymore...and then sometimes they'll randomly like it again :roll:

Why yes they do :D

You can store branches for an indefinite period, but try to keep them well ventilated, for example lay them all out on a rack so air can move between them. If you stuff them all in a box or bag so they're close together, they're likely to grow mould after a bit.

Hey guys!! We have a pear tree and 2 small Apple trees in out garden which are being cut down today :((( so i wanted to know, do your buns like pear and apple branches? Do I have to clean them first? Twigs or branches or "slices"? Can you keep them or dry them in some way or only freshly cut? Thanks so much 💕

Apple and Pear branches, yum, yum!

I have a lot from my neighbour's tree, and what I don't use I dry for use in the future (I keep them in my shed). My boarding bunnies make short work of them, which saves them eating my sheds when they come to stay!!

Back