• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temporary fencing/netting for free-ranging

sashababe

Warren Scout
Hi,

I'm after some ideas to let my bunnies semi free-range in the garden, they currently have a hutch and aviary on slabs but would be nice to get them out on the grass. My problem is the area of the garden near them has several bunny dangers (a pond, conifers and other evergreen shrubs - far enough away to be no problem when they are in the run) that I effectively want to 'rope off' when I let them out. I was wondering about some sort of netting with stakes to fence off these areas that's removable when the buns are away? Or any other ideas but ideally collapsible/able to fold away. They will be supervised at all times when out so it doesn't need to be 100% bunny secure (as I can step in if any digging occurs!) but would be needed to contain them to a safe area. Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for both suggestions, I've got some puppy pen panels already so gave them a go with some stakes and worked well! Happy bunnies :)

10247268_10152074304075924_8190258476245252317_n_zps7261d825.jpg

I use 2 metal runs, all opened up. It makes a huge fence, that we can open up further in nice weather / herd them where we want in bad weather.

They could easily jump it, but they've never tried it (touch wood), they binky higher than it, but I think because they don't know where they're going to land, they don't even try.

10247268_10152074304075924_8190258476245252317_n_zps7261d825.jpg

I use 2 metal runs, all opened up. It makes a huge fence, that we can open up further in nice weather / herd them where we want in bad weather.

They could easily jump it, but they've never tried it (touch wood), they binky higher than it, but I think because they don't know where they're going to land, they don't even try.

Where did you get your pen panels from? Did they cost a lot?

Where did you get your pen panels from? Did they cost a lot?
I got them from Pets corner, one is like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-CHICKEN-DUCK-DOG-PET-PLAYPEN-METAL-ENCLOSURE-RUN-HUTCH-ROOF-/281237790564 the XXL one, and I use the top opened up too.

And the other was a one similar to this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-CHICKEN-DUCK-DOG-PET-PLAYPEN-METAL-ENCLOSURE-RUN-HUTCH-ROOF-/310981501402
Which is whatever height the other one is, we've had the big roofed one since before we even got the bunnies, and the other not long after (once it became obvious that moving them to the run thru the day wasn't going to happen - I was very naïve! and once I realised opening them up like this gave so much space).

What we DID have to do was cable tie all of the openings (there's doors and hatches in various places on the panels) because they figured out they were there and that they could open them!!!!!! we use the ground spike things to keep the panels together and its cable tied too... in summer we open it up over the entire lawn they love it!

Last edited:
Back