• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie is poorly, URT infection, fever and secondary gut stasis

anaqi

Warren Scout
I am not having very much luck with rabbits. After losing Peter last year to complications of E. Cuniculi after an abscess I thought things were going well. I bonded Rosie with a gorgeous new buck but today when I went to give them breakfast Rosie wasn't there. She is usually pawing at the hutch door for her morning greens but she was hiding in the enclosed part, sitting hunched up.

I took her straight to the vets and they said she had a high fever of 39 degrees, her lungs didn't sound great and her bowel sounds were slow. They think she has a upper respiratory tract infection with secondary gut stasis :( They have given her a 50/50 chance. I am out of my mind with worry.

I'm so sorry that you are having problems again. Has Rosie been hospitalised or is she still at home. What medication is she on?

Rosie is at the vets, they are keeping her in overnight. They didn't say what they were going to give her, something for her fever because her temperature was 39 degrees, antibiotics for the infection and they said they might start her on something to prevent stasis. She did have gut sounds but they were slow, probably because she didn't want to eat because she was so poorly.

I didn't take Eddie with her, we weren't sure if she would be happier with him or if he would catch it too. The vets are going to phone me this afternoon to let me know how things are going.

She will be in good hands. :thumb: I have been with them for over 10 years with my rabbits.

They had a major challenge last year with my Wallace who had a severe lower respiratory infection. I cannot fault them on the care they gave him.

If they suggest nebulising once Rosie is home, then I have a nebuliser which you can borrow to save you having to buy one. I am at Wildbore's regularly, so if you do need to borrow it, I can leave it there for you.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Rosie. xx

I just phoned the vets up. Rosie is doing well, they've given her a prokinetic and antibiotics, she's eaten some greens and done some poo which is great news. They checked her teeth and they look OK so if she continues to improve I might be able to bring her home tonight.

I missed this earlier. Glad she is starting to improve, sending lots of vibes for her.

Glad she is showing some improvement. Fingers and paws crossed that she can come home this evening. xx

She will be in good hands. :thumb: I have been with them for over 10 years with my rabbits.

They had a major challenge last year with my Wallace who had a severe lower respiratory infection. I cannot fault them on the care they gave him.

If they suggest nebulising once Rosie is home, then I have a nebuliser which you can borrow to save you having to buy one. I am at Wildbore's regularly, so if you do need to borrow it, I can leave it there for you.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Rosie. xx

What a lovely offer Tracy :)

Glad to hear Rosie is coming home. I hope she continues to improve xx

Thank you Tracy and everyone for your kind messages. Rosie is now home with us, she has the bunny snuffles - her eye is runny, her ear is drooping and she's not quite her normal self but she's eating and pooping which is a good sign. She's on Emeprid, Zantac and Baytril and we're taking her back to the vets tomorrow for a check-up.

We're keeping her indoors tonight, I've set up the puppy pen in the conservatory and we're keeping her apart from Eddie because we don't know if the infection is contagious. The vet asked me to keep an eye on him in case he comes down with it too.

Fingers crossed the antibiotics will do their job and she'll make a full recovery.

Rosie had her check up yesterday and she is doing well. Her temperature is down and she's eating a little bit better. She was miserable without Edward, and he was sulking in the hutch outside so we have set up the puppy panels in the conservatory so they are next to each other. The vet suggested it so they can be together but so I can monitor Rosie's poos. Some are small and dry but others are wet and squishy, probably due to the medication. I've stopped the emeprid but she's still on zantac and baytril. Her eye has stopped oozing but the fur under her eye is very matted. I've been washing it with cooled boiled water but she doesn't like getting wet. She's still got that feisty rabbit streak and she nearly knocked the syringe out of my hand this morning and she had a good grumble while I tried to get it in her mouth!

She's not eating pellets so I'm making sure she has lots of grass, hay and greens, plus a few of her favourite treats, banana, grape and cherry tomato. Her ear is still drooping down, the vet wasn't quite sure why, perhaps to do with the inflammation. She looks a bit strange at the moment but it's good to see her eating. I nearly cried when she saw Edward again for the first time and they kissed through the bars of the puppy panels <3 They are newly bonded and I didn't want them to be apart too much but they are still so in love I don't think anything could break it. They have been laying down next to each other with the bars between them. I can't wait until Rosie is all better and they can be properly together again. She's going for another check-up on Tuesday, hopefully she'll be all better by then. Fingers crossed!

poorlyrosie_zpsieniij1p.jpg

Rosie had her check up yesterday and she is doing well. Her temperature is down and she's eating a little bit better. She was miserable without Edward, and he was sulking in the hutch outside so we have set up the puppy panels in the conservatory so they are next to each other. The vet suggested it so they can be together but so I can monitor Rosie's poos. Some are small and dry but others are wet and squishy, probably due to the medication. I've stopped the emeprid but she's still on zantac and baytril. Her eye has stopped oozing but the fur under her eye is very matted. I've been washing it with cooled boiled water but she doesn't like getting wet. She's still got that feisty rabbit streak and she nearly knocked the syringe out of my hand this morning and she had a good grumble while I tried to get it in her mouth!

She's not eating pellets so I'm making sure she has lots of grass, hay and greens, plus a few of her favourite treats, banana, grape and cherry tomato. Her ear is still drooping down, the vet wasn't quite sure why, perhaps to do with the inflammation. She looks a bit strange at the moment but it's good to see her eating. I nearly cried when she saw Edward again for the first time and they kissed through the bars of the puppy panels <3 They are newly bonded and I didn't want them to be apart too much but they are still so in love I don't think anything could break it. They have been laying down next to each other with the bars between them. I can't wait until Rosie is all better and they can be properly together again. She's going for another check-up on Tuesday, hopefully she'll be all better by then. Fingers crossed!

poorlyrosie_zpsieniij1p.jpg

Oh yes, fingers definitely crossed for a full recovery for Rosie!

What made her ear droop in the first place? Did she have an injection or IV fluids there?

Awwww. Lovely picture. I hope she continues to improve and that they can go back together very soon. He will keep her eye nice and clean.

Oh yes, fingers definitely crossed for a full recovery for Rosie!

What made her ear droop in the first place? Did she have an injection or IV fluids there?

I have no idea what made her ear droop. It's like she has no control over it. If you move her ear it just flops back down again. She didn't have an iv, the vet considered it but as she was eating, drinking and moving around they didn't want to restrict her so they just monitored her for a while. She was doing so well that they let her home on oral meds. The vet wasn't sure if it was affected by the inflammation from the infection. I will ask again on Tuesday when she goes for her checkup.

I have no idea what made her ear droop. It's like she has no control over it. If you move her ear it just flops back down again. She didn't have an iv, the vet considered it but as she was eating, drinking and moving around they didn't want to restrict her so they just monitored her for a while. She was doing so well that they let her home on oral meds. The vet wasn't sure if it was affected by the inflammation from the infection. I will ask again on Tuesday when she goes for her checkup.

I had a bun who's ear flopped in just the same way, and the vet couldn't get to the reason of why that happened. We did have our suspicions though ...

What did you think it was? Rosie's ear was fine until she got poorly but it was floppy when we took her to the vets because I pointed it out to them.

Last edited:
Back