• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming help please

Alicia

Mama Doe
This isn't set in stone yet, please don't judge me but I'm having to consider rehoming my animals. Joey is from a rescue in Essex and Izzy is from a rescue not far from me, would they absolutely 100% have to go back to these rescues? I'd like them to stay together and I wouldn't like to send them to a rescue, I'd rather find a home myself. I guess I need to contact the rescues and ask but I just wondered if you think this would be a possibility or is this not something rescues would really do?

Last edited:
Some rescues state you have to take the rabbit back to them, but I really can't see that anyone would split a bonded pair in any event. Do you have the paperwork from the original adoption, maybe you could check?

I know you have been struggling lately, I wouldn't rush into anything you might regret later.

Sending hugs xx

I may do somewhere for Izzy but I don't for Joey, I don't even remember the name of the rescue Joey's from, I found the lady on a forum I think if I go back through messages I may be able to find it. I am really struggling at the moment and I don't know what's going to happen over the next few years, so I need to be sure that the animals will be ok.

I'd contact both rescues - one may be happy taking both & the other may agree to it, so they aren't split.

It's a hard decision to make. The difficulty you're faced is that you know you're feeling bad but you're not yet engaging with the right support to feel better. What you need to question is whether or not you will regret this when you start to feel better. Also what is genuinely best for the rabbits at the moment? That may well be being with you, so what could you do to ensure they are in the best situation possible (which may be things like seeking the help you need, keep looking for other jobs, etc). Or it might be best for them is to be regimes but then yes, you'll need to contact both rescues and discuss the situation with them.

Have you considered boarding them as an option until things settle down for you and then you could consider taking them back if workable - I had to move house a couple of years ago and boarded a bunny with view to rehoming as it was such a stressful time but she eventually came home back to her mum - just another thought for you.

Some rescues will do a favourable rate for longer term boarding.

This isn't set in stone yet, please don't judge me but I'm having to consider rehoming my animals. Joey is from a rescue in Essex and Izzy is from a rescue not far from me, would they absolutely 100% have to go back to these rescues? I'd like them to stay together and I wouldn't like to send them to a rescue, I'd rather find a home myself. I guess I need to contact the rescues and ask but I just wondered if you think this would be a possibility or is this not something rescues would really do?

So sorry ... poor you :cry:

If I were you I would consider boarding them with someone who can offer a reasonable rate for a set period of time - say a month or two. This will give you time for yourself and also time to see how it would be without them.

No reputable rescue would split a bonded pair. Take good care of yourself and I hope something works out for you xx

My Mum's given me a month to rehome all my animals. I have 2 guinea-pigs, 2 rabbits and 1 cat. We haven't been getting on these past few weeks and she's decided that she doesn't want them anymore. I really can't bear it, everything that made me happy is slowly going one by one and I feel like I'm all on my own and I just need someone to help me because everything is a mess and I don't know what to do anymore

No decent rescue will split a bonded pair. And we have taken back a bunny that has a partner not from us, and other rescues we trust have taken one of ours with one of theirs.
Sorry you are in this position

Back