• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What colours would a self blue to a self chocolate make?

He guys so i brought two rabbits from the pets shop, sold as two females however last few days i have seen mateing behaviour took them to the vets to get them sexed an infact have a male an female. They are now seperate but next to eachother an he is booked to get nutered in two weeks, if she is pregnant what colour could the babies be (its not important but feel kind of excited to hace little buns an just curious xxz[emoji1]

it totally depends on what their parents and grandparents etc were.

Hoping you will be able to keep them all! Keeping a family together is a wonderful thing and also helps alleviate the pressure on rescues who desperately need homes for the thousands of rabbits in them - if you have any friends who want a 10 year responsibility - then recommend them to rabbit rescues!!!

The pet shop needs to be told they got it wrong as they are clearly not properly trained and may be causing this problem with lots of other customers.

Have a wonderful time with your new family!!

I am hopeing to keep them together yes as i say totally un planned rescues wont re home to me as i dont have a garden x

Most rescues will rehome bunnies to be indoors if they have enough space
If your bunny is old enough, you may be able to have her spayed to prevent pregnancy. You might want to get your boy bunny neutered ASAP too. In about 12 weeks you could have several furry babies ready to leave mum, requiring separation from the parents & each other. You'll need a minimum of 3 set ups - by then there is neutering, vaccinating costs. Litters aren't cheap!

That said bonded groups are awesome to watch once you get beyond the incredibly expensive & hormonal teenage months

Just to add, even if you get your male bun neutered immediately he would still be able to get her pregnant again as soon as she's given birth, so they will need to stay separate for some weeks...:wave:

That's a bit of a shock for you! I definitely complain to where you got them from - it's great you were able to separate them and book the neutering but less savvy rabbit people could really have got into trouble if they hadn't spotted the behaviour and got them checked. It's good you separated them quick before the birth as at least now you only at risk of one litter not too.

It would be really tough to tell what the babies are, with pure breds you'd expect the family tree to be similar colours but they could have anything in their genetic makeup - you may get them looking like mum or dad or completely different.

I'd note today's date down somewhere then you know when you can be sure she's not. It's not uncommon for them to show some nesting behaviour even if they aren't pregnant so don't use that as a marker - it might just be a phantom.

Aw thankyoh an yher i completed animal care in college an kniw quite alot about different animals i have 6 cats a dog 3 rabbits 3 lizards an 3 snakes xx

Litters can come in all different colours depending on the family tree as has been said.

When we got our two girls their litter was a mixed bunch, mum was a brown colour the. The babies were grey, white, black and sooty fawn!

Back