• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to increase a bunnys weight?

Mazzy

Young Bun
So it's a week ago since Paws stopped eating. Yesterday we started making progress but she is still being boosted with the recovery food made with baby food. Her hay consumption is down, but lots and lots of mint and dandelion have been eaten. If possible could you advice on the best way to boost her eating, she has lost nearly 200g, she is struggling for energy to eat and we can feel her bones far too easily.

She currently has 4 different hays plus readygrass and the dried forage food. She isn't really interested in pellets or treats. I have to be careful as my other bunny who is on a diet is pinching anything I'm using to tempt her to eat more.

Has she had a vets appointment for her teeth to see if these are causing her pain and then again stopping her eating?

So it's a week ago since Paws stopped eating. Yesterday we started making progress but she is still being boosted with the recovery food made with baby food. Her hay consumption is down, but lots and lots of mint and dandelion have been eaten. If possible could you advice on the best way to boost her eating, she has lost nearly 200g, she is struggling for energy to eat and we can feel her bones far too easily.

She currently has 4 different hays plus readygrass and the dried forage food. She isn't really interested in pellets or treats. I have to be careful as my other bunny who is on a diet is pinching anything I'm using to tempt her to eat more.

Has the vet diagnosed a reason for her not eating?

she was diagnosed with dental Spurs last Monday, she had them dealt with Tuesday whilst she spent 5 days at the vets.

she was diagnosed with dental Spurs last Monday, she had them dealt with Tuesday whilst she spent 5 days at the vets.

You could ask your vet for some pain relief (Metacam) to tide over the period until the teeth settle down.

You could try tempting her with some fresh herbs - parsley, coriander or mint. Perhaps a bit of freshly picked grass or rose leaves ....

Some bunnies like to have their pellets (if that's what she eats) soaked to make them softer .. others won't touch them!

She is currently on meloxicam for the pain along with Zantac and another med.
Herb wise she isn't really a fan full stop she has had a few strands of mint, and I've just tried her with dill as I read it increases appetite, she couldnt get enough of it was like spaghetti going down but she then just side flopped when she'd had enough.
It just seems like she hasn't got the energy for eating, when she is fully awake the hay does get eaten, so it doesnt seem too painful for her to eat it.

Back