• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Helping a grieving bunny

Tracy

Warren Veteran
After losing Bentley at the weekend, his girl Minnie is now looking depressed. She is spending much of her time just sitting in her hay tray. She is nibbling hay and will eat herbs, but she will not touch her pellets. She is pooing, but they are smaller than usual and dark, she normally does the perfect big golden poos that we all strive for with our bunnies. She does occasionally go for a hop into her run and has come out onto the patio, but she doesn’t stay out long and soon retreats back into her tray, it’s almost as though she is looking for Bentley and then gives up and goes back inside….although it could be that I am so sensitive at the moment I am just reading things into what she is doing/thinking. She was with Bentley when he was put to sleep, she moved away from him as soon as he passed away so she knew he had died, but I don’t know whether she would link that with him no longer being around at home.

I know she is now very lonely and missing her Bentley, but I don’t know what to do to help her. She is not a people-bunny, she is friendly but doesn’t enjoy human contact. Me spending more time sitting with her, or even bringing her inside as a housebunny, won’t make her happy.

I know she needs a bunny-friend and although I am not looking to take on any more rabbits, ideally I’d like to reduce my number naturally as they pass, I think I’ve no choice but to adopt another rabbit to bond with her. I’ve no existing pair/group within which I would have any hope of integrating her.

I don’t know how long to leave it before trying her with another partner. She is stressed and depressed from losing Bentley, so will adding the stress of bonding be too much? But if I don’t find her a friend fairly quickly, she might become even more withdrawn and depressed. I’m also mindful that she has had a few random episodes of stasis in the past, so being depressed, stressed and not eating properly won’t be good for her.

I’ve not had a grieving bunny before who is showing such obvious sadness. :(

Aww so sorry for your loss and nose rubs to Minnie.

It is so hard to see them grieving. We saw it with Blossom when he lost his brother Bramble. It is heartbreaking, but at times - like you have said already - I think we look into things more. Anytime Blossom stood up and looked around, I was convinced he was looking for Bramble and tortured myself with such sad thoughts.

I don't want to offer advice re getting a friend for Minnie as I believe its a very personal decision and no matter what is 'best' its not always appropriate or easy. I just hope that Minnie settles soon and whatever you do will be the right thing because you care.

Take care, xx

I'm so sorry Minnie is struggling :cry: I've not been in this situation before, having never been left with a lone bun from a pair, but I know some people find they have to adopt a new partner for their bunny sooner than they would have been ready personally. In the meantime do you think she would snuggle up to a cuddly toy?

Hugs to you and nose rubs to Minnie xx

Have you tried putting some new things into her accommodation eg some boxes to investigate ? Empty cereal boxes with one 'stray' bit of cereal in can be too interesting to ignore Also, how far apart is she from other Rabbits ?

Is she used to any background noise such as a Radio ? The sound of voices/music can help some grieving Rabbits. When Sir Victor died Lady Lydia would not eat unless the radio was on. She was always much more unsettled when there was silence in the house.

Thank you BerryJane, Zoobec & Jane.

Jane, Minnie's accommodation is away from the other bunnies. The kennels where the others live goes across the bottom of the garden and Bentley & Minnie's playhouse/run is next to the house. When Minnie is out on the patio or in her run she will be able to see the others, but she doesn't know any of them or come into contact with them. She has a quiet life, there isn't too much noise generally.

I've tried to keep everything in her accommodation the same so that it is familiar for her, but maybe that was the wrong tactic. I've just about kept everything the same, not really dared to change anything for fear of unsettling her, but perhaps I do need to make a few changes and create some distractions to keep her busy. I'll give the cereal box idea a go. I've also got a big strong cardboard box which I could stuff with hay and hide treats in, she likes burrowing in hay so that might be a good idea too.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Minnie is sad ... I like the distractions idea. Would be lovely to see pics of her investigations if you have time.

I'm thinking of trying a cuddly toy, but I will have to keep a close eye on her. If it goes the same way as the fleece blanket I made for them, it will end up in shreds. :roll:

I have brought a big sturdy box home from work and I'm about to get started on making a few things to distract her and keep her busy. It will give me something different to concentrate on and think about, so will hopefully be a good distraction for me too.

I'll try and get some pics, although I expect that she will wait until she thinks I've gone before she does any investigating. I'll have to hide behind the door and spy on her. I had to do that last night when she refused a Fenugreek crunchie.....you know it's bad when they refuse one of those, she normally grabs it and once got my finger too. I left the crunchie next to her in the hay tray, but waited outside with my ear to the door and after a minute or so I could hear her crunching.

Back