• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - early stages of hock problems

danih

Young Bun
Hi all,

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my georgeous Milly's back legs, the whole section, top and bottom, in contact with the ground, isn't drying off. She is an outside bunny.

I may bring her indoors - with 4 cats and 2 dogs, this may stress her out, so trying to avoid until I need to. I do have another indoor bunny, who has well recovered from a large facial absess. So I know Milly is safe from my other pets if I bring her indoors, but they will be curious. I have started introducing the pair, still tearing fluff out of each other when they get the chance, so have them side by side with part of Milly's set up closed off so they have wire mesh inbetween them.

The skin on the bottom of her feet is a medium pink colour, it hasn't broken. The skin on top of her feet looks normal.

She isn't happy with me examining her feet, I have thought about trimming her feet fur, and will give it a go over the next few days. I won't push this too far if I think it will do more harm then good.

Her living set up has been a 4 foot run, with a small hutch/run combo (4 ft by 3ft), and a 4 by 2 hutch. Both hutches were single story. I replaced the larger hutch yesterday with a double story - also 4 by 2. This is all on wooden decking.

I think I may have to start closing her in the hutch overnight, to completely keep her off the decking. Bought her the larger hutch so she will have a bit more space over those few hours.

What do you think?

All tips appreciated.

I think she would be better on soft surfaces everywhere, can you cover the whole set up to keep the rain off and give her a soft thick surface of hay everywhere?

I think she would be better on soft surfaces everywhere, can you cover the whole set up to keep the rain off and give her a soft thick surface of hay everywhere?

I agree

Also, dont try cutting off any fur from her feet as it will just make things worse. Can you post a photo of the 'sore hocks' as what best to do about them depends on the precise extent of the problem.

Hi all,

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my georgeous Milly's back legs, the whole section, top and bottom, in contact with the ground, isn't drying off. She is an outside bunny.

I may bring her indoors - with 4 cats and 2 dogs, this may stress her out, so trying to avoid until I need to. I do have another indoor bunny, who has well recovered from a large facial absess. So I know Milly is safe from my other pets if I bring her indoors, but they will be curious. I have started introducing the pair, still tearing fluff out of each other when they get the chance, so have them side by side with part of Milly's set up closed off so they have wire mesh inbetween them.

The skin on the bottom of her feet is a medium pink colour, it hasn't broken. The skin on top of her feet looks normal.

She isn't happy with me examining her feet, I have thought about trimming her feet fur, and will give it a go over the next few days. I won't push this too far if I think it will do more harm then good.

Her living set up has been a 4 foot run, with a small hutch/run combo (4 ft by 3ft), and a 4 by 2 hutch. Both hutches were single story. I replaced the larger hutch yesterday with a double story - also 4 by 2. This is all on wooden decking.

I think I may have to start closing her in the hutch overnight, to completely keep her off the decking. Bought her the larger hutch so she will have a bit more space over those few hours.

What do you think?

All tips appreciated.

It sounds like an issue with more than just the hocks, and maybe caused by rainy weather if not by her own urine (if I understood correctly, being the whole of her back legs). If she could have a period of 'drying off' completely you would see if/how things heal up.

As to cutting off the feet fur .. it would depend if this is causing her a problem walking/hopping. It can sometimes mat and become a problem, but I would be extremely cautious about trimming it at this stage.

I would put a deep layer of hay everywhere to help her hocks. Also her accommodation doesn't sound very large and this *could* exacerbate things. Generally the minimum recommended size is a 6x2x2ft hutch with an 8x4ft run attached.
Some buns have a small pinkish spot on their feet. I noticed that my rescue bun has them and they have never progressed or gotten red etc. She was neglected, though, and I do think that has something to do with it.

I would also strongly suggest getting her checked at a vet for arthritis. I have a bun with sore hocks and it started as a small red spot on his heel and then slowly got worse. It took me months to realise it was a secondary problem and he was actually suffering from pretty severe arthritis in his lower spine, despite having practically no other symptoms. It might be worth just having a vet give her back/hips a feel and also for them to check the way she sits/hops. If she is wet, that can be another sign that she is maybe finding it difficult to clean herself.

Sending vibes. Hocks are nightmare!

I would put a deep layer of hay everywhere to help her hocks. Also her accommodation doesn't sound very large and this *could* exacerbate things. Generally the minimum recommended size is a 6x2x2ft hutch with an 8x4ft run attached.
Some buns have a small pinkish spot on their feet. I noticed that my rescue bun has them and they have never progressed or gotten red etc. She was neglected, though, and I do think that has something to do with it.

I would also strongly suggest getting her checked at a vet for arthritis.
I have a bun with sore hocks and it started as a small red spot on his heel and then slowly got worse. It took me months to realise it was a secondary problem and he was actually suffering from pretty severe arthritis in his lower spine, despite having practically no other symptoms. It might be worth just having a vet give her back/hips a feel and also for them to check the way she sits/hops. If she is wet, that can be another sign that she is maybe finding it difficult to clean herself.

Sending vibes. Hocks are nightmare!

Yes, that is a very valid point. Sore hocks can be a symptom of an arthritic condition so a Vet check would be a good idea.

I'll try to get some pictures, and up the amount of hay in her hutch.

I don't think there is a toileting issue, she is very careful where she goes - only targets one spot in one hutch, so easy cleaned :) Her bum and upper legs are clean and tidy, its only the "elbow" (I'm sure there it a different word for it) down, that bit of the back paws that is in direct contact with the ground, The fur on the top of that part of the leg isn't drying - but above that joint there's no issue. Rereading my post, "top and bottom" does sound like the entire leg, but I meant the top and bottom of that bit below the joint.

I'll not trim for the time being.

I would like to extend her space a little, her total ground level space, combination of run and hutch, is 9 foot by 4, and then she has the additional 4 by 2 upstairs hutch. Work in progress.

I don't think there is a toileting issue, she is very careful where she goes - only targets one spot in one hutch, so easy cleaned :) Her bum and upper legs are clean and tidy, its only the "elbow" (I'm sure there it a different word for it) down, that bit of the back paws that is in direct contact with the ground, The fur on the top of that part of the leg isn't drying - but above that joint there's no issue. Rereading my post, "top and bottom" does sound like the entire leg, but I meant the top and bottom of that bit below the joint.

I would like to extend her space a little, her total ground level space, combination of run and hutch, is 9 foot by 4, and then she has the additional 4 by 2 upstairs hutch. Work in progress.

Thank you for clarifying! Great idea to extend her living space and also add more hay to make a soft landing for her.
I hope it works out well for you both x

That's not too bad as long as you plan on making it bigger. :)

I understand what you mean about her feet not drying. Is it because she is out in the run a lot in the wet? I don't think she has toilet issues but I'm wondering if it's possible she is finding it difficult to groom her feet? They have to really bend and stretch into a funny position to do that and it could be a sign that she is having problems with her back or hips if her feet are not being kept clean and dry. It could just be the weather, though. You could try putting a tray in her hutch to use. This will mean that all her pee is contained and she isn't sitting in it. It also means it can be emptied everyday with no problem and may help to keep her feet dry.

What substrate do you use in her hutch?

Back