• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex rabbit housing

mousetarget

Young Bun
Our Rex rabbits suffer from sore hocks, can anyone suggest the best type of flooring for them to help minimise this?

I've not had Rex rabbits myself but know that people recommend foam jigsaw matting/stable matting with a duvet in a cotton duvet cover on top. Thick layers of hay or grass are also good. Are your buns indoors or outdoors? Carpet is abrasive and should be avoided. Hopefully Rex owners will be along soon to give more specific advice.

I have a mini rex rabbit with sore hocks and she's an indoor rabbit. Her enclosure is covered with thick layer of hay and vetbed on any hard surface. When she's outside of the cage, I put vetbed down over carpet and this seems to work well.

When she was an outdoor rabbit, I covered all of the floors with a thick layer of hay and this worked for 6 years.

Many thanks for the replies - they are indoor rabbits.

Carpet and lino/tile/wood flooring can exacerbate Rex hock problems. They need a surface that enables then to position their feet/toes as they would on grass/deep hay. This is not possible on any type of hard flooring. Carpet can also be abrasive and it can wear away the fur on the plantar regions. Rexes have no guard hairs in their coat.

So what type of indoor flooring do your Rexes spend most time on ?

Do you insure that their toenails are always cut short and are they at all overweight ? I know it can be a challenge to keep a Rex at a good weight as they are usually so greedy !!

Carpet and lino/tile/wood flooring can exacerbate Rex hock problems. They need a surface that enables then to position their feet/toes as they would on grass/deep hay. This is not possible on any type of hard flooring. Carpet can also be abrasive and it can wear away the fur on the plantar regions. Rexes have no guard hairs in their coat.

So what type of indoor flooring do your Rexes spend most time on ?

Do you insure that their toenails are always cut short and are they at all overweight ? I know it can be a challenge to keep a Rex at a good weight as they are usually so greedy !!

Many thanks for the advice. They are not overweight and currently spend most of their time on straw and vet bed.

Back