• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

twitching head and flickering eyes

Krissa

New Kit
I have a female lionhead rabbit and I found her this morning with twitching of the head and her eyes flicker constantly. She just lies there and when I take her out she seems scared and disoriented. The vet is not answering me and I really dont know what to do for her. Has anyone had a similar problem?

She needs to be seen today by a vet as an emergency. Your vet should have access to a 24 hour out of hours service. Otherwise, are there any other vets near you that are open today? Even if they are closed, they should have emergency contact details on a recorded message.

If you say where you are, someone on here may be able to help with a suitable contact.

Many Pets at Home stores have in-house vets that are routinely open on a Sunday. They will be listed on-line and would have the advantage of not charging an out of hours fee.

Meanwhile, I would keep your rabbit quiet and comfortable but keep checking on her. Make sure that she is able to access some food and water if she is not mobile. It is very important that she keeps eating. You may have to make it easier for her but without distressing her too much. She may also appreciate a warm heat pad, as long as she is able to get on and off it. Poorly rabbits are not as able to maintain their temperature.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you so much for your advice and concern Shimmer. I finally got hold of the vet, there is only one on call on a sunday, I live in Iceland. She said its serius when these symptoms appear in a rabbit, indicates an inner ear infection or an injury. I have another rabbit in the pen but they really get along so I doubt they have had any conflicts as of late so am ruling out an injury. Anyway, am taking her in to be seen, lets hope for the best and thanks again for your support.

Thank you so much for your advice and concern Shimmer. I finally got hold of the vet, there is only one on call on a sunday, I live in Iceland. She said its serius when these symptoms appear in a rabbit, indicates an inner ear infection or an injury. I have another rabbit in the pen but they really get along so I doubt they have had any conflicts as of late so am ruling out an injury. Anyway, am taking her in to be seen, lets hope for the best and thanks again for your support.

I would also mention the possibility of Encephalitozoon Cuniculi to the Vet

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

I hope that the Vet can help xx

So sorry to hear about your poorly rabbit. Yes it could certainly be indicative of an inner ear infection. It could also be the parasite E.C. (encephalitozoon cuniculi) which is treated by oral administration of Fenebendazole (or some derivative, depending what you have in Iceland)

Good luck and please keep us posted.

:cry:..Poor little bun, it definitely sounds like EC.

Lots of love , hope the vet can help soon

Fee xx

Bella twitchy-eyes

Hi my rabbit Bella has been very poorly and was seen by the vet yesterday, they couldnt confirm what was wrong with her but its probably ear infection. Parsites are unknown in rabbits here in Iceland. She is now on antibiotics and her eyes and head are no longer twitching. She is eating and drinking a bit, but am keeping her close to the radiator for warmth, even though my other rabbit Belmar is cuddling up to her all the time, keeping an eye on her. The vet wasnt very hopeful she would make it though so we just have to wait and hope for the best. I know that Belmar will be very affected if she does go, they are soo good together, I took real care and a long time to find her for him. What can I say, thanks all for replying to the thread and showing support...:wave:

If it is an ear infection, and early signs from the antibiotics indicate it might be, then recovery will happen so long as she gets a good course of abx, along with a pain relief and anti inflammatory such as Metacam.
Id treat her for EC as a precaution too with Panacur which you should be able to buy online without prescription.
I've had a few buns with ear infections that require management but have positive outcomes

Hi my rabbit Bella has been very poorly and was seen by the vet yesterday, they couldnt confirm what was wrong with her but its probably ear infection. Parsites are unknown in rabbits here in Iceland. She is now on antibiotics and her eyes and head are no longer twitching. She is eating and drinking a bit, but am keeping her close to the radiator for warmth, even though my other rabbit Belmar is cuddling up to her all the time, keeping an eye on her. The vet wasnt very hopeful she would make it though so we just have to wait and hope for the best. I know that Belmar will be very affected if she does go, they are soo good together, I took real care and a long time to find her for him. What can I say, thanks all for replying to the thread and showing support...:wave:

I really hope she pulls through. It sounds like you love her very much and are doing all you can.

Good luck! x

Bella has pulled through

:D My Lionhead rabbit Bella has pulled through, she has been so sick, I had to give her food and water by a siringe and now she is feeding on her own, very expensive delicious spinach mainly, Im sooo happy:wave:

I am going through the same thing with our bunny Bo at the moment. We are into the third week and he is still a very poorly bun. :( So pleased your bunny pulled through :) xxx

poor Bo

:cry:Im sorry to hear about Bo, hope she gets better soon, Is she drinking? Has she had medicine? I still have to make sure Bella drinks water and has a bit of hay, have been all over town trying to find some fresh stuff for her, not much hope of that in Iceland. The vet told me to keep her warm at all times and I fed her pured apple by a siringe for the first days. She is still very weak and has lost a bit of weight but she is getting stronger. Im sending Bo the best get-well vibes. Good luck....

I´m sorry about speaking about Bo as a female, the word rabbit is a female word in Icelandic....I´m very aware that Bo is male, hugs for him:)

Back