• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI statis

Mazzy

Young Bun
Sorry for the long post but want to make sure I cover as much as I can in hopes you can help me, help my little princess. My bunny Paws has been in GI Statis since Monday. When I went to bed at around 2 am Monday morning Paws appeared fine. Her poop was a little darker than normal but nothing of great concern and she was running around when I left her. When my partner got up at 7am Paws didn't come out for some pellets but she can be lazy at times so he didn't think too much of it. when I got up 2 hours later she still wouldn't come out. I got her booked in at the vets for 2pm and in the mean time I gave her some peppermint tea, massage her belly and laid her on a wheat bag wrapped in a towel.
On arriving at the vets she had no sounds from her guts, the vet examined her and notice the start of Spurs and redness in the mouth so the vet gave her a painkiller, a gut stimulant and a antibiotic. I was sent home with some recovery food and a appointment for Tuesday. I was told if we could get her guts going they would put her under on Wednesday to sort out the Spurs and a X-ray to see if there is any blockages or anything else untoward.

I was giving her the recovery food every couple of hours but her condition was getting worse so we took her to the emergency vets. They admitted her and they continued with the same medications and IV fluids. I collected her at 8am and let her have a cuddle with her husbun, before whisking her off to our vets. They admitted her and put her on some different meds. During one of my twice daily calls with the vet we discussed that it was getting to the stage we may need to do surgery. Surgery is something I want to avoid at all costs due to the fact it can cause more problems than it solves. We arranged that I could come in and visit in the afternoon to spend some time with her. Then a hour after the call I got a very excited vet ringing me back to say we had 2 poops.
We visited Paws and she looked so miserable. She let me stroke her head, which never happens and if I stopped she would look at me to continue. I picked her up and she properly snuggled into my neck. It was such a bitter sweet moment, I loved the affection from her but would swap the snugly bun for my independent girlie in a heartbeat. When I put her in the cage again at the vets she leaped in the litter tray and started digging in frustration.

I spoke to the vet again on Friday and we agreed after more poops overnight that we would bring her home that evening. On bringing Paws home last night. She very excitedly raced round the room, ran into the cage and chinned the hay rack. About 10 mins later I looked and she was eating a couple of strands of hay. Over the next 8 hours I gave her the meds and a couple of syringes of recovery food.
I awoke this morning and raced down to check on her, she again was eating hay and was treated by about 30 tiny poops that looked to be a colour before proper golden coloured. Today she was on and off eating one or two strands of hay but I have failed miserably with the recovery food only getting in around 15mls all day. She has been drinking also but the poop seems to have stopped again.
I have ordered some Fibreplex for tomorrow but I was hoping if you managed to read all that if I should be worried at this stage. I only have half a hour tomorrow to get Paws in at my vets as they only open their doors to take in any that have gone done hill over the weekend and I don't want her going back to the emergency vets. The fact she is attempting to eat is good surely and she has side flopped a few times this evening so I'm hoping I'm just overthinking and worrying unnecessarily.

Sorry for the long post but want to make sure I cover as much as I can in hopes you can help me, help my little princess. My bunny Paws has been in GI Statis since Monday. When I went to bed at around 2 am Monday morning Paws appeared fine. Her poop was a little darker than normal but nothing of great concern and she was running around when I left her. When my partner got up at 7am Paws didn't come out for some pellets but she can be lazy at times so he didn't think too much of it. when I got up 2 hours later she still wouldn't come out. I got her booked in at the vets for 2pm and in the mean time I gave her some peppermint tea, massage her belly and laid her on a wheat bag wrapped in a towel.
On arriving at the vets she had no sounds from her guts, the vet examined her and notice the start of Spurs and redness in the mouth so the vet gave her a painkiller, a gut stimulant and a antibiotic. I was sent home with some recovery food and a appointment for Tuesday. I was told if we could get her guts going they would put her under on Wednesday to sort out the Spurs and a X-ray to see if there is any blockages or anything else untoward.

I was giving her the recovery food every couple of hours but her condition was getting worse so we took her to the emergency vets. They admitted her and they continued with the same medications and IV fluids. I collected her at 8am and let her have a cuddle with her husbun, before whisking her off to our vets. They admitted her and put her on some different meds. During one of my twice daily calls with the vet we discussed that it was getting to the stage we may need to do surgery. Surgery is something I want to avoid at all costs due to the fact it can cause more problems than it solves. We arranged that I could come in and visit in the afternoon to spend some time with her. Then a hour after the call I got a very excited vet ringing me back to say we had 2 poops.
We visited Paws and she looked so miserable. She let me stroke her head, which never happens and if I stopped she would look at me to continue. I picked her up and she properly snuggled into my neck. It was such a bitter sweet moment, I loved the affection from her but would swap the snugly bun for my independent girlie in a heartbeat. When I put her in the cage again at the vets she leaped in the litter tray and started digging in frustration.

I spoke to the vet again on Friday and we agreed after more poops overnight that we would bring her home that evening. On bringing Paws home last night. She very excitedly raced round the room, ran into the cage and chinned the hay rack. About 10 mins later I looked and she was eating a couple of strands of hay. Over the next 8 hours I gave her the meds and a couple of syringes of recovery food.
I awoke this morning and raced down to check on her, she again was eating hay and was treated by about 30 tiny poops that looked to be a colour before proper golden coloured. Today she was on and off eating one or two strands of hay but I have failed miserably with the recovery food only getting in around 15mls all day. She has been drinking also but the poop seems to have stopped again.
I have ordered some Fibreplex for tomorrow but I was hoping if you managed to read all that if I should be worried at this stage. I only have half a hour tomorrow to get Paws in at my vets as they only open their doors to take in any that have gone done hill over the weekend and I don't want her going back to the emergency vets. The fact she is attempting to eat is good surely and she has side flopped a few times this evening so I'm hoping I'm just overthinking and worrying unnecessarily.
The fact that one of the Vets noticed 'the start of spurs and redness in her mouth' sounds as though Paws not eating and subsequent gut stasis is primarily due to her having a very sore mouth. So until her teeth are sorted out she may well remain 'not right'. If she is still not back to 100% normal eating/pooing personally I would want to talk to the Vet again about the need for a Dental under GA. I hope paws feels better soon x

I would agree with Jane that if their are spurs and redness in the mouth then a dental (sooner rather than later) should hopefully sort this out.

I hope she feels better soon.

Sorry I thought I put they ended up doing the dental on Tuesday when they did the X-rays. Once they got her under the GA for the X-rays they treated the Spurs, the vet said they were not bad and didn't believe they was the cause of the anorexia. This morning she has done a huge pile of sloppy poo, and with it was some small golden poops.
She was eating hay for a good few minutes this morning and a few strands at a time. I had to fight to pick her up for her meds and she was much more lively than yesterday. When she was on the worktop she placed her front paws on my chest and proceeded to dig my dressing gown and bite the gown's cord. Then without warning she lept on to my shoulder and for the first time I had to have help with administering the oral meds. We had such a fight we didn't even attempt the revovery food yet.
I think now that the pitiful looks have been swapped for the death stare, and she has been chewing her water hyacinth ball we should be in the clear.

Sorry I thought I put they ended up doing the dental on Tuesday when they did the X-rays. Once they got her under the GA for the X-rays they treated the Spurs, the vet said they were not bad and didn't believe they was the cause of the anorexia. This morning she has done a huge pile of sloppy poo, and with it was some small golden poops.
She was eating hay for a good few minutes this morning and a few strands at a time. I had to fight to pick her up for her meds and she was much more lively than yesterday. When she was on the worktop she placed her front paws on my chest and proceeded to dig my dressing gown and bite the gown's cord. Then without warning she lept on to my shoulder and for the first time I had to have help with administering the oral meds. We had such a fight we didn't even attempt the revovery food yet.
I think now that the pitiful looks have been swapped for the death stare, and she has been chewing her water hyacinth ball we should be in the clear.

So glad to hear this update :thumb:

Back