• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bereaved bunny

kelari

New Kit
Hello,

This is my first post and sadly at a very unhappy time. I had to have our 8 year old female pts today due to her having had a stroke and as a result suffering paralysis of her back legs. We are left with a neutered 7 year old rescue and I need some advice on how to help him live on his own, how to do it, what to look out for etc. I am worried he will pine as she was more like his mom, grooming him etc and generally organising his life!

We are not going to introduce another rabbit, we have done that with past single rabbits we have had but I don't want to keep replacing rabbits. He was there when she was taken ill and when I took her from the shed to the vet but he didn't see her again.

thank you

Kelari

I am sorry you lost your bun, is there anyway that you could bring your remaining bun inside and make him a house bunny? This is what we did when we were in your situation, we brought Benji inside, I couldnt bare to think of him outside in the shed all alone, I think that would be very lonely for a bunny all by himself!:cry: Benji has been fine since we lost his partner over a year ago, we just made sure he was eating and pooping as normal, and gave him lots of fuss and attention. I honestly think bringing him indoors is the best idea that way you can keep a close eye on him and give him lots of extra nose rubs:wave:

Hello and thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we cant bring him indoors we have 2 terrier type dogs who would give him a heart attack at the very least. I'm struggling to think of him being out there too but I need to make the best of it for him.

Hi, I'm so sorry about the loss of your bunny :cry: I'm afraid he will
be very lonely on his own if he has been used to company. Would you be able to provide him with a dog free room indoors so he gets more company?

Hi, we don't have another room we could use for him otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to bring him in. I'm going to speak to our rabbit vet tomorrow. It was his first night on his own last night which must have been strange, he has eaten so that's good but I am keeping a close eye on him.

Back