• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis advice

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Ferg was at the vets overnight with stasis - he's had fluids, prokinetics, syringe feeds etc. he's been seen nibbling hay and some greens so he's been allowed home until Monday when he has a dental booked in

Just need a bit of advice with regards to stasis - I've never had a bun with it before so sort of lost as to what to do with him!

We've just got home and he is coming nowhere near me but I got him in a bunny burrito and managed to get some recovery food in (12ml) and was going to do his next one at about 12:30 seeing as he needs it 4x a day. He's due his metacam and cisapride at 7 so that's my next job.

I've given him all his favourite veggies, 4 types of hay and some readigrass and made sure I can keep an eye on poos but I don't know if he'll eat them on his own.

Is there anything else I could do?
He's also come home with one of his ears a bit floppy (he's up eared) but don't know if that's just cos he's angry with me.

Help!

Was the stasis brought on by teeth problems? Sorry I can't be of any help but I hope his dental goes well on Monday.

Was the stasis brought on by teeth problems? Sorry I can't be of any help but I hope his dental goes well on Monday.

We think so, there are some small spurs on his bottom molars but the vet didn't think they were awful, maybe just enough to start hurting. The vet doesn't think its a blockage so hoping the dental fixes everything! Been a nightmare weekend!

Will it be a good idea for him to have a dental if he hasn't been eating properly for a few days? I'm not sure myself - perhaps someone else will come on shortly with better advice.

Will it be a good idea for him to have a dental if he hasn't been eating properly for a few days? I'm not sure myself - perhaps someone else will come on shortly with better advice.

The vet recommended it to try and get him eating again, he just won't seem to start properly at the moment :(

The vet recommended it to try and get him eating again, he just won't seem to start properly at the moment :(

If he is not eating much on his own you will need to continue with syringe feeds to keep his GI tract ticking over as well as possible prior to the GA.

The 'floppy ear' may be due to the fact that he had a canular fitted to administer IV fluids

Hope he feels better soon xx

If he is not eating much on his own you will need to continue with syringe feeds to keep his GI tract ticking over as well as possible prior to the GA.

The 'floppy ear' may be due to the fact that he had a canular fitted to administer IV fluids

Hope he feels better soon xx

Thanks Jane :) he's been picking at his hay overnight and has managed a few pellets so a massive improvement on Friday. He's geyting syringe fed every 4 hours (15mls) and actually being really good about it. He's going in for his dental at 8am tomorrow so only only one more night to get through before his teeth are sorted, but he's definirely perkier this morning - we've had thumps and sulks so I'm a bit happier! Xx

Thanks Jane :) he's been picking at his hay overnight and has managed a few pellets so a massive improvement on Friday. He's geyting syringe fed every 4 hours (15mls) and actually being really good about it. He's going in for his dental at 8am tomorrow so only only one more night to get through before his teeth are sorted, but he's definirely perkier this morning - we've had thumps and sulks so I'm a bit happier! Xx

Ah I was commenting on Fergie on your other thread .. :)

Glad he's eaten a few pellets. It's important he has some food, so every 4 hours is brilliant. The vet will most likely give fluids after the op to aid recovery, and that should make him feel a lot better.

Good luck for tomorrow :thumb:

Back