• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dirty bun?

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi, my bun has messy bottom, it's dried on and he's not cleaned it off....it's been stuck to him for a week....well today he's got a very sticky bottom....and has bounced poo all over the house, his bottom and back legs are covered, I think this could be the fall out from a dropped bag of excel nuggets and a very greedy bunny 3days ago. How do I clean him!!!?! He won't be picked up so the only thing I is thinking was putting him on his a back on my lap (Last resort)...or a puddle in the bath?...he's house bun so hopefully flystrike not such an issue...but can't leave him so dirty it feels cruel?? Thanks for any advice?:wave:

Hi Colly :wave: I've found the best way to clean my rabbit's bottom is to put her in a very shallow bath of lukewarm water (just enough to cover the bottom but definitely not submerged). Put a towel or rubber mat in the bottom so he has traction. Gently swirl the water around his bottom and legs. As the dried poo gets wet it'll be easier to gently ease off (don't pull too hard!). I prefer to use the bath tub rather than the sink as it's harder to jump out of the bath - although they do try! When you're done gently lift him out of the bath onto a towel and blow dry with a hairdryer set on the lowest setting.

Hi, thanks so much for your advice.....unfortunately my bun is a slippery guy and all my attempts to pick him up and get him in a shallow bath have failed, I was worried I'd hurt him at one point trying g to get hold of him...he's still got a really dirty bottom, just carrying it around with him....so might have to take him to the vets and see if two pairs of hands help. Really worried about fly strike even though it's not the season but still....if only you could reason with bunnies!!!:)

I have one clean bunny again! He's also now on fibre plex to help his tum. Thanks again for your help...:wave:

Back