• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

We think Toffee has blood in her urine.

Abbiebutler

Young Bun
We woke up this morning to find a dark red patch in the corner where Toffee 'goes to the bathroom'. We have called the vet and she has an appointment at 2:20 this afternoon to check it out.

I have been doing a bit of research online and have come across that sometimes the urine can be red through diet or something like that and that it is not actually blood. Is there a way to tell if it is blood in her urine or if its just red urine? Carrot and spinach keep coming up alot as something that can make urine red, but she hasnt had either.

She seems fine in herself but my mum said that she was acting a little quiet last night. (However the weather was lovely yesterday so we were able to give her run of the WHOLE garden, not just her big run. So we thought she may have just been tired from the extra running space!)

She is spayed, incase that would make any difference.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

I've seen very orangy red urine before in my buns. Hope it turns out to be something dietary.

Could be Calculi (urinary tract stones, or urolithiasis). Baytril is good for clearing up urinary tract infections and if it is cystitis you could also add some cranberry juice to the water, the stuff sold in the cold section in supermarkets (diluted 1 to 4 parts water) Prob best to avoid high calcium food too such as Kale, spinich, parsley and mint. Paws crossed for your little one.

All is well!
We took some of the bedding with us from her litter tray for the vet to test. So she tested that and thankfully there was no blood in it! We are currently sat outside enjoying some time in the sun! :love:

Dandelions can change the colour of their urine as well. If she had access to more of the garden then she normally does then maybe she got hold of of few!

All is well!
We took some of the bedding with us from her litter tray for the vet to test. So she tested that and thankfully there was no blood in it! We are currently sat outside enjoying some time in the sun! :love:

Didn't see your post earlier, but when you said she had had the run of the whole garden, I suspected it may be dandelion leaves, which make the urine an unnervingly 'blood' like colour!

I am glad you had the vet test the sample. It is always best to check. As rabswood stated, my bunny had red tinged urine when he had a stone in his bladder which required surgery. I also had other bunnies develop orange toned urine. The orange tone was very even, no flecks, and with one of my bunnies she continued to have orange urine for the rest of her life.

Harley produces bright red pee when she's had dried beetroot in her herb mix - frightened the life out of me the first time I saw it:shock:.

Hope Toffee is okay - and it's just something eaten.:thumb:

Back