• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help for Albert and his arthritis please

weeble

I posted around a year ago about Albert being unsteady on his back legs and a few people on here and the vet thought arthritis. He has been on metacam since then, at first just when he needed it but more recently everyday. In the last week he seems to have got a lot worse. I am going to take him back to the vets next week but just wondered if anyone on here had any suggestions please. These are vids of him today

His back legs are slightly stained, this is partly mud off the lawn but also from his kennel whereas his friend Evie who is also white is perfectly clean. I am a big believer in not letting animals suffer for the owners benefit and would rather make 'that' decision too soon than too late. Is it time do you think?

Have you tried accupuncture? It helped my aged bunny who had bad arthritis of the lower spine.

It was a vet. There are a few round here who do it. I believe Liz at Rainbow Rabbirs also took one of hers and it did seem to help. Flora was just on metacam, accupuncture sessions when I felt she needed it and a permanent plug in electric puppy heat pad (an aluminium non-chewable one from Petnap). She was 10.5 when I eventually helped her to the bridge so the treatments kept her comfortable for a good couple of years.

It was a vet. There are a few round here who do it. I believe Liz at Rainbow Rabbirs also took one of hers and it did seem to help. Flora was just on metacam, accupuncture sessions when I felt she needed it and a permanent plug in electric puppy heat pad (an aluminium non-chewable one from Petnap). She was 10.5 when I eventually helped her to the bridge so the treatments kept her comfortable for a good couple of years.

How bad was she compared to Albert to start with if you dont mind me asking?

Sending lots of vibes for Albert :thumb:

Thank you

How bad was she compared to Albert to start with if you dont mind me asking?

Thank you

I tried to watch the video but I couldn't get it to load unfortunately. Flora used to keep both back legs almost static and sort of 'scoot' them underneath herself to hop forwards. She was very wobbly side to side and would tip over ever so easily. She couldn't sit up on her hind legs to groom so I had to keep her eyes and ears clean for her (Benji was far to lazy to help her :roll:).

Ah, I can watch them now. I'd say he's a little worse than Flora was at the beginning but similar to how she became after about a year of it being very noticeable. She also used to move both back legs independently of each other like that with a distinctive 'wobble' from side to side as the legs came under the body. Near the end, she'd fall right over and not be able to right herself again :cry:. The acupuncture definitely helped though so it would be worth a try.

I feel for you though as it's heartbreaking to watch. They're perfectly fine and dandy at the front end but the back end's not working as it should. How old is he?

He is 6 and a half so not really old. My only concern is he hates being handled he cries when he is picked up. When I do his nails I have to be quick or he bites and starts digging my clothes

I have to be upfront about this .........it's not going to get any better :cry:. However, all is not lost as he can be kept comfortable and relatively pain free for a while yet. Flora didn't like being handled either but she became really calm and quiet during acupuncture. She almost seemed quite sleepy so I'd try it first before discounting it. Flora didn't seem to be in any great pain with her spine but it did greatly impact on her ability to groom herself, although she always managed to lift her rear end to pee ok.

Towards the end, she kept falling over and I even spent a couple of nights sleeping in the shed with her so I could right her when she'd toppled. I knew it was time to give her peace when I could see how distressed she was becoming by not being able to get back up (despite my removing all obstacles in her enclosure and putting a grippy surface down to walk on). When a prey animal finds itself spread-eagled in the open with no way of moving, its vulnerability is upsetting to watch.

But she was OK for a couple of years and it was really only the last 3-4 months when it got really difficult. I agree with you though, that I wouldn't want to keep them going just because you could. Quality of life has to come into it, sadly. I wish you all the very best in keeping him comfortable in the coming months.

I think I'm lucky at the moment in that Albert doesn't seem unhappy. He loves being out on when grass and tries to come running but falls over. I will ask the vet if she knows of anyone that does acupuncture

I have no advice other than what's been given, but just wanted to send some loving vibes your way for dear Albert. :love: He seems a lovely chap. :)
My Mimzy has had spondylosis of the lower spine and spurs in his hips that have been forming since he was three. He is on almost maximum pain relief and he tends to hold his left rear leg far forward to ease his mobility and resting postures. He likes the house warmer than my other two buns. It's really hard to know just how long he can keep going in his current state. He is 8 years old this spring and spends much of his day napping.
All the best for you and Albert that something can be found to help. xxxx

Back