• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Overweight bun - shocking site!

Rab-bit

Alpha Buck
I work at my local vets and today we had a bunny spay. I was so excited to be able to watch.
When I admitted bun this morning I told the vet that the bun was overweight - she was podgy just by looking at her and then when I picked her up I could feel how fat she was.
To give you an idea she was a mini lop but she weighed 2.71kg :(
Anyway the obesity was even more apparent when the vet opened her up and ther was sooo much fat around her uterus, ovaries and surrounding organs, not only did it make the spay harder it was just shocking to see how badly the inside of the body is affected :shock:
The owner was slightly clueless and when I first met her I told her about feeding (she only fed a bowl of hay each day), housing, bedding and how to toilet train. I can tell she is loved but the owner needs educating.
Please please please ... If your bun is overweight get them on a diet, I was so saddened to see what it does to them, inside and out!!:cry:

Thanks for this. .my Sheldon and Holly are a bit podgy and I know can do with losing a bit ... I have been trying to cut back on their food but .....! So will make more effort. My other buns are absolutely fine weight wise..just these 2 lumps who love their food too much.💜

Mine I think are all spot on :thumb: now :oops:

Doubt I'd pick Casserole up if he was heavier than he is :oops: at 3.2k down from a podgy 3.6k :D

I suppose the bunny is loved a little too much :roll:

A little guidance is all that's required to put it right :wave:

Back