• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary incontinence male rabbit

Just

New Kit
Any advice please eight year old rabbit Alfie wet and sore. Seen vet had abdominal X-ray no bladder stones, catheter used for urine sample no urine infection. Had course of antibiotics now on anti inflams but no signicant difference. Eating well and well in self. Using dermis cream twice a day. House rabbit with no recent changes to his environment. X-ray arthritis to spine. Any suggestions for a much love rabbit.

Thank you
Just

The xray showed arthritis in the spine? This can cause incontinence as the arthritic changes in the spine can place pressure on the bladder leading to incontinence.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

My Belgian Hare who is now in his senior years and a house bun, also has increased incontinence (his hind legs are also getting weaker with arthritis), he is on metacam for pain relief. To help keep him dry and comfortable, I have puppy pads covered by pieces of vet bed or fleece in his favourite spots which I change on rotation daily.

Have you and your vet thought about E Cunniculi? This can cause incontinence. Treatment is 28 days Panaucur and metacam (both needed)

Hi thank you all for help. Been back to vet today seen a different vet has increased metacam dose. Also given vetbed by vet. vet has advised to give it a go for four days. They have not mentioned e conniculi but I have some panaucur Alfie is well in himself doesn't seem right to let him go, he's still enjoying his food and wants to come out.
Thank you

My female rabbit goes through periods of being "wet" below. We did tests and nothing showed up. As a precaution we did the panacur and also had her on metacam. It seemed to clear things up and she does have episodes of this so we just give her metacam for a few days and it seems to clear so guessing some sort of inflammation. It could be a bit of arthritis flaring up too but for us this seems to work. I hope the meds help him.

Hi thank you all for help. Been back to vet today seen a different vet has increased metacam dose. Also given vetbed by vet. vet has advised to give it a go for four days. They have not mentioned e conniculi but I have some panaucur Alfie is well in himself doesn't seem right to let him go, he's still enjoying his food and wants to come out.
Thank you

Ah such a shame, poor bunny. But wonderful you want to give Alfie the very best and he's not ready to leave yet.

Vet bed is amazing for these things - I use it for my 12 year old bun, with newspaper underneath, for where she sits most of the day (she's a free range house bun). You do have to watch for urine scald, but you seem to have that covered.

It's worth giving a 28 day course of Panacur, just in case it would help with the incontinence and also hind leg weakness .. it's usually very well tolerated by buns of all ages xx

Does anyone know how quick the panaucur takes to help with urinary incontinence. As I want to give Alfie the best chance. He was not as wet this am after injection yesterday.

Thank you all again for help

Thank you all for your help Alfie is doing well. All his fur has grown back incontinance has gone. Lowered his dose of metacam finishes panacur tomorrow. Going to keep lowering dose of metacam.

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your help Alfie is doing well. All his fur has grown back incontinance has gone. Lowered his dose of metacam finishes panacur tomorrow. Going to keep lowering dose of metacam.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the update! His fur grown back and now no more incontinence - you've done really well with Alfie :thumb:

Good luck ongoing with the little one xx

Thanks again!
I am so glad you persisted and found a solution for your elderly bunny.

Back