• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fergie has stasis :(

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I've just had to leave my little Ferg in the vets for fluids etc. because he has stasis. He didn't eat his pellets last night - I was at uni and my mum was looking after him but she didn't tell me because she didn't want to worry me... I got home this afternoon and he hadn't eaten his morning pellets so I took him straight to the good rabbit vets and he's been admitted. He had almost no gut sounds and was a bit dehydrated but no bloating.

The vet had a look at his teeth and there were a couple of little Spurs so we think this is the cause so he's booked in for a dental monday (he's usually a really good hay eater but has been off it the last 2 weeks) I'm just so worried about him. I'm worried he's eaten something naughty and has a blockage, I don't want him to have to have surgery.

I can't stop crying haha, never left him at the vets before overnight and just dont know what to do - never had a bunny with stasis either so don't know what to expect.

Do you think he's going to have to have regular dentals? He's 2 and has never had teeth problems before (checked every 6 months)? Will he be ok?

Just don't know what to do with myself - the vet is ringing me later and if he's ok I can pick him up tomorrow morning :(

Sorry to hear Fergie is poorly. At least if he's with Aiden you can be assured he will be ok. Do you know why he stopped eating his hay?
My Munchie had a dental for spurs when he was 18 months. He's 4 now and not had to have one since so don't think because Fergie's having one now it's a life long thing. You'll feel less anxious after they've rang x

Sorry to hear Fergie is poorly. At least if he's with Aiden you can be assured he will be ok. Do you know why he stopped eating his hay?
My Munchie had a dental for spurs when he was 18 months. He's 4 now and not had to have one since so don't think because Fergie's having one now it's a life long thing. You'll feel less anxious after they've rang x

I know they're brilliant vets and I know they'll do the best they can for him, just hated leaving him - felt absolutely pathetic nearly sobbing in the consult!

He's always been fussy with it, he just goes off certain types on a whim for no reason and he seems to have done it this time :( I was just about to go out and find some new hay when I noticed he hadnt eaten. I'm gonna buy him some of the expensive oxbow stuff, he seems to like that and readigrass best.

I miss him already :(

I've just had to leave my little Ferg in the vets for fluids etc. because he has stasis. He didn't eat his pellets last night - I was at uni and my mum was looking after him but she didn't tell me because she didn't want to worry me... I got home this afternoon and he hadn't eaten his morning pellets so I took him straight to the good rabbit vets and he's been admitted. He had almost no gut sounds and was a bit dehydrated but no bloating.

The vet had a look at his teeth and there were a couple of little Spurs so we think this is the cause so he's booked in for a dental monday (he's usually a really good hay eater but has been off it the last 2 weeks) I'm just so worried about him. I'm worried he's eaten something naughty and has a blockage, I don't want him to have to have surgery.

I can't stop crying haha, never left him at the vets before overnight and just dont know what to do - never had a bunny with stasis either so don't know what to expect.

Do you think he's going to have to have regular dentals? He's 2 and has never had teeth problems before (checked every 6 months)? Will he be ok?

Just don't know what to do with myself - the vet is ringing me later and if he's ok I can pick him up tomorrow morning :(

Oh how worrying for you! I hope the news is good and that he'll be able to come home to his Momma ...

As for dentals - it's impossible to say with rabbits. Sometimes one dental can sort out the issue for years, and if they keep eating hay/readigrass then the problem is well under control. I always find it's important to listen to what the vet said about the exact state of the teeth when viewed under anaesthetic, and then when they are recovered, to keep up the fibre big time ...

Stasis is so horrible. .and it's awful leaving your bun at the vets. I always feel so guilty and miss them so much. Many vibes for a quick recovery. .hoping he's back at home with you tomorrow.

Thanks for all the vibes, hate the waiting game :( I wish I'd taken thumper/donut/burger/Mr fox so he has something that smells like home :(

Just rang the vets - he's eaten a teeny bit of hay on his own and has been pooing through the night but he's still not interested in pellets or greens so they don't want to send him home yet. Taking it as a better sign that we've got poos, gonna ring again later but i know he's in the best place x

Just rang the vets - he's eaten a teeny bit of hay on his own and has been pooing through the night but he's still not interested in pellets or greens so they don't want to send him home yet. Taking it as a better sign that we've got poos, gonna ring again later but i know he's in the best place x

Yes, poos are a very good sign :D I hope he begins eating a bit more today ....

Back