• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much syringe feed?

My new bunny Castiel has a dental spur and as a result he isn't eating properly. Monday he is going for a dental ...but in the mean time I need to keep his gut moving...how much syringe feed should I give him in one sitting and per day?
Thank you

Jenny

The oxbow website says: Mix 3 Tbsp per kg of body weight daily.

So an average bunny would need around 7-8 tablespoons, bear in mind this is the dry product, it's more once it's mixed up. You'll need to feed it in several sessions every few hours, as it is important that the stomach does not become empty. You'll also need to syringe water, as bunnies with slow/stopped guts are at risk of dehydration.

If he'll eat it willingly from a bowl or spoon, do this, as it will be less stressful. You can also offer him normal pellets, softened with water to make them easier to eat, and lots of his favourite hays. Try and keep his favourite foods around him to tempt him to eat - fragrant herbs like basil and mint are good choices because the smell makes them irresistible to bunnies.

Is your bunny also on pain relief (metacam) and gut stimulants (pro-kinetics like emeprid and zantac)? These are essential in keeping everything moving whilst he's not eating properly. If not, please take him back tomorrow morning (most vets are open for a few hours on Saturdays) and ask for some.

If he stops eating completely, it is then considered an emergency and he'll need to be hospitalised, so keep a close eye on him. I hope he's feeling better soon.

One of mine had stasis the other week, and I was told to mix the powder to a paste consistency, and syringe feed a minimum of 2-3mls every 40 mins or so.

I guess if your bun is still eating just not as much as usual, you won't need to stick rigidly to 40 mins, but it sounds like you're in for aong weekend!

Hope all goes well!

The oxbow website says: Mix 3 Tbsp per kg of body weight daily.

So an average bunny would need around 7-8 tablespoons, bear in mind this is the dry product, it's more once it's mixed up. You'll need to feed it in several sessions every few hours, as it is important that the stomach does not become empty. You'll also need to syringe water, as bunnies with slow/stopped guts are at risk of dehydration.

If he'll eat it willingly from a bowl or spoon, do this, as it will be less stressful. You can also offer him normal pellets, softened with water to make them easier to eat, and lots of his favourite hays. Try and keep his favourite foods around him to tempt him to eat - fragrant herbs like basil and mint are good choices because the smell makes them irresistible to bunnies.

Is your bunny also on pain relief (metacam) and gut stimulants (pro-kinetics like emeprid and zantac)? These are essential in keeping everything moving whilst he's not eating properly. If not, please take him back tomorrow morning (most vets are open for a few hours on Saturdays) and ask for some.

If he stops eating completely, it is then considered an emergency and he'll need to be hospitalised, so keep a close eye on him. I hope he's feeling better soon.

This is very good advice.

In regards to the critical care, you may have to adjust the consistency depending on your rabbit. It is easier to put the syringe in the side of their mouth, between their front teeth and molars, squeeze a little into the mouth, and wait for the bunny to swallow. Some bunnies will fight you, others will take it quite well. I hope your rabbit is the later.

I feed 30mls four times a day. I wouldn't want to stress a bunny out be doing it more frequently. They need time to relax and recover too.

Obviously the exact amount depends on size of bunny

I use the 1ml syringe as I find I can't get the 2.5ml syringe into smokies mouth properly to stop her dribbling it out the side. I mixed mine with fruit baby food (Ella's kitchen Apple) and a bit of water to make it a bit more palatable and also help with the consistency as critical care is awful in the syringes

Hi all. Thanks for the advice. He is having his teeth filled today and having an xray of his gut. Am worried about my boy.
Thank you all...am a nervous wreck waiting for the vets to call with an update.

You can buy syringes from the hay experts that are specifically for syringe feeding. They are 15ml each. I wouldn;t be without them :)

Back