• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mr dusty is a chubby bunny!!!

liv862

Warren Scout
Confession time: At the start of the winter i got all worked up about how cold it was and although my buns had their snugglesafes each night i still felt guilty about them having to live outside now (they used to be indoor rabbits but since moving in with my parents 2 years ago they hav to be outdoors), so i increased their pellets so they were having some extra calories to burn off and keep them warm.

Well now its march and two of them are looking pretty damn chubby. Mr Dusty in particular i feel very guilty about, i just didnt notice how bad it was until this week! i brought him in for his evening snuggle and realised i couldnt feel his spine or ribs anymore, and he has actual boobs!!!! he and Maisy my other chub bun r now back on one eggcup of pellets and strictly no treats, but I was wonderin if theres anything else I could do?

Is there such a thing as diet bunny food? and if so, what ones are decent? or should we consider a hay and forage only diet for a month or so, just till he looses a bit of chub? Ive been trying to increase supervised free ranging in the big garden cos they do a lot more exercise there than in their runs, but to be honest I think they probably eat more calories from all the plants than they burn off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So yes, advice please! Thanks in advance,

Livi xxx

I think I saw that Excel does a light food. I'm cutting back the pellets for my lot too, they used to get twice a day but this week I've cut them back to mornings only. I feel super guilty though; they act like complete starvos!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/rabbit-light.html

Also: I got these hay cookies - which are just tight rolls of hay - and I put them in their bowls in the evening with some herbs etc so they think they're getting something otherwise they just aren't impressed with their usual hay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They should lose the excess weight gradually, over the next 2 - 3 months, just give them the normal recommended amount.

Oooh marvellous! Mine normally eat the excel adult nuggets so hopefully won't be too big a change on their bellys. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out :D

Back